Strange feather loss in same area of all hens (see pics)

Daisy118213

Hatching
5 Years
Sep 7, 2014
One of our hens begun to lose feathers around the tops of her wings and on her back. We thought it was from the cockerels so separated them but since the feathers have not re grown and the other two hens have also lost their feathers in the exact same place. We have checked for mites on their skin and in their coop and can't see anything. What could be causing it? One of the hens is worse than the others but it is concerning that there is no sign of regrowth. The hens don't peck each other either. We have a polish silkie hen who is not have this feather loss.

Thanks for your reply. The cockerels were separated from the hens over 6 months now and when they were separated only one hen had feather loss. In the past 3 months the other hens feathers have started falling out and leaving the top bits of their wings completely exposed, the skin can be seen. I have been putting sun cream on the exposed skin as they begun to get burnt in the heat.

I just went through this. It's mites. I will also save you some time because I tried everything natural but nothing worked until I finally broke down and used poultry dust and the best way to apply is go in at night and blow it up under their wings as well as putting it on roosting bars, nesting boxes and everywhere else. You will see a huge improvement in less than a week.

I'm 99% sure that it'll be mites that are causing this. I faithfully clean all dropping from the coop every afternoon after they have dried. Using construction sand and D.E. (Red River) makes for snappy work, and it helps tremendously in the summer heat against fleas, mites, and odor. Don't forget to check their vents for infestation! Poor things ... good luck, be well!

Back
Top Bottom