Strange growths on the beak of my EE! Is it fowlpox????? HELP!

Curious1234

Chirping
7 Years
May 14, 2012
I don't currently have any pictures to upload yet but there are strange growths on my chicken's beak! We were looking online for what it could be and a possibility is fowlpox. Is that really common? Is it dangerous? Is it spreadable from chicken to chicken? I don't want our chickens to die! :( please help.

Pictures will help. Fowl pox is rather common, especially during the warmer months of the year. It is spread by flying insects like mosquitoes and flies. It isn't usually deadly, unless it turns into the wet form, which infiltrates the throat. There isn't a treatment, but applying iodine to the scabs helps them go away. Sometimes you need to give them an antibiotic, as a secondary bacterial infection can form. Chickens that recover will be immune to that particular strain.

Last edited:
Pictures will help. Fowl pox is rather common, especially during the warmer months of the year. It is spread by flying insects like mosquitoes and flies. It isn't usually deadly, unless it turns into the wet form, which infiltrates the throat. There isn't a treatment, but applying iodine to the scabs helps them go away. Sometimes you need to give them an antibiotic, as a secondary bacterial infection can form. Chickens that recover will be immune, but can be carriers.

Thank you so much for the reply.
Should I be vaccinating the other hens?
We currently have 3 more of the same age and 2 that are about 5 weeks old.
I don't know if they already have the viral infection, however. They are not yet showing the scabs.

Last edited:
Thank you so much for the reply.
Should I be vaccinating the other hens?
We currently have 3 more of the same age and 2 that are about 5 weeks old.
I don't know if they already have the viral infection, however. They are not yet showing the scabs.

Is there a bad smell coming from her mouth? In that case, it would be canker, not fowl pox. Here is some information on canker:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/164633/canker-infection-in-chickens
There is a vaccine for Fowl Pox, but I'm not sure if it would work that well if your birds have already been bitten by infected mosquitoes/flies. Not all of your birds may be infected, as birds don't spread the disease by direct contact. Mosquitoes, flies, and other flying insects carry the disease.

Back
Top Bottom