Strange hen introduced to flock without proper introduction (need advice)

Lobo123

Songster
Apr 11, 2020
Oregon
A relative of mine just bought a random chicken that his friend didn't want and placed it in the run with my flock. Kinda mad because he just put her in there without telling me. The bird seems to be a red sex link. Relative told me she is old but doesn't know the exact age. It's probably too late to quartine her now since she has exposed herself with all the chickens. She is very beaten up too, barely has any feathers in her butt, why is that? Walks a little funny too, maybe just old age? She also has spurs which confused me with a rooster for a second. I'm worried she might have exposed my hens with some disease.

What should I do? Should I just let her be, hope everything works out? What signs should I look for in my flock in case things go downhill? Sorry for the multiple questions, just need some advice.

Well quarantine is broken, and really that is not a good thing to do, but relatives are relatives. Was she badly beat up before she got to you, or are your bird beating the tar out of her? If so, a little separation, as in see but not touch might help.

Do make sure you have mutliple feed stations, and keep an close eye out for parasites. If she is sneezing, or wheezing, or runny eyes, or lethargic, not a good sign. If so, I would cull her. Even though she has already exposed the flock, no sense in keeping her with them any longer.

If she is active, bright eyed, and not getting killed, you might just have gotten lucky.

Mrs K

I’m not sure what you can do about your situation, but if it’s a single hen, and if the hen is indeed sick... The other chickens will probably peck it to death. You might need to take the other chicken out if that happens. Also, hens can grow spurs. It doesn’t really happen unless the bird is an older one. If the chickens of you were exposed to some sort of disease, just keep an eye on them and look for any symptoms. Goodluck!

Thanks for the response everyone! Yes, there was some pecking from the other hens but no fighting. The only time things got a little heated was when the roosters started to chase her to mate. She seems okay, she is in the coop right now. They already have multiple feeding and water stations so that's taken care of.

When she came she was already beaten up. All her feathers from her rear end were gone. Why is that? Was she being pecked in her previous flock? I'll monitor her health and the rest of the flock and make sure everything seems normal. At the moment, she seemed fine, taking a drink of water, scratching a bit, but now she is just roosting.

Thanks for giving me an idea of what age she might be! I think she is around to 2 years old because her spurs are 3/4 of an inch if not a little more.

Thanks for the response everyone! Yes, there was some pecking from the other hens but no fighting. The only time things got a little heated was when the roosters started to chase her to mate. She seems okay, she is in the coop right now. They already have multiple feeding and water stations so that's taken care of.

When she came she was already beaten up. All her feathers from her rear end were gone. Why is that? Was she being pecked in her previous flock? I'll monitor her health and the rest of the flock and make sure everything seems normal. At the moment, she seemed fine, taking a drink of water, scratching a bit, but now she is just roosting.

Thanks for giving me an idea of what age she might be! I think she is around to 2 years old because her spurs are 3/4 of an inch if not a little more.
I’m not any chicken expert but she might be molting, or she might possibly have some sort of parasite or somthing around that.

The feathers missing from the bum sounds like classic feather picking, and I would be careful and watch to see whether she starts picking at your girls' feathers. I understand that the behaviour is contagious.

The girls with the long spurs were an exception, not a rule. I sometimes have a hen that grows spurs, but plenty make it to two years without more than a half-centimetre's growth. So I don't think that's a good way to judge age.

I have heard that thicker legs = older hen, but I've never noticed too much difference, especially when comparing one breed to a completely different breed.

I think you might have to try and judge her by her laying ability, when she gets over her "transplant shock" and starts.

Back
Top Bottom