Strange legs on duck

Mcgheeii73

Chirping
Jul 13, 2019
Hi all!
I'm curious about suspected breeds of my ducks and help/advice with my youngest duck who seems to have a balance or leg/feet issue. Description below. This is my first post, hopefully pics come through.

I have 3 backyard ducks as pets. I got them May 23 and was told two of them were 3 days old (turned out to be one boy 1 girl-Meadow and Carmela) and one of them was 1 day old (my little girl Adriana) The youngest seems to be very unique, she has feathers on her legs and has always been somewhat unsteady on her feet. While the other two hold their necks outstretched or upright as they walk, my little one keeps hers tucked down mostly. She also often rests with her weight on her heels with her legs bent at a slant, almost like she's about to lay down. She also hops around at times like a rabbit, and I've never seen the other two do that. Recently (2 wks ago) while I was gone from home, she tumbled onto her back after she got out of the pool and was unable to turn back over. She laid on her back 8 whole hours (per our camera footage) and beat her poor right wing until it bled at the quills, trying to get upright. Luckily my aunt lives behind me and called me when she noticed the duck on her back and my family came over and held her until I got here. She's healed up now and the wing is back to normal but she's definitely more cautious and stays back from the others, doesn't get in the pool as often, etc. I supplemented niacin starting on week 1 because she's been unsteady from early on but it really worries me that she is THIS unsteady. We both work jobs and I can't be here all day to make sure it doesn't happen again. I put them up at night because we've already had a coyote try to get in their lot. She is able to go up the ramp, and acts very happy and normal like nothing is wrong, but it's clear that she walks and stands differently.

I also don't know their breeds and neither did the man who gave them to me. If you can tell anything by looking at them, please share.

Pic 1 shows how she frequently stands/holds her weight leaned back.
20190713_175118.jpg
20190702_173239.jpg
20190713_173758.jpg

Umm I am pretty new to this myself and I don't know much about leg issues. But I can tell you that the first pic, she looks like a Welsh Harlequin and in the third picture the black and white spot looks like a Black Swedish. The third one, maybe a Khaki Campbell.

Umm I am pretty new to this myself and I don't know much about leg issues. But I can tell you that the first pic, she looks like a Welsh Harlequin and in the third picture the black and white spot looks like a Black Swedish. The third one, maybe a Khaki Campbell.
Thanks Mama Owl! I'm adding a closer pic of Carmela so everyone can see her color better. She is very gray with spots.
IMG_20190702_171602_408.jpg

IMG_20190702_171602_405.jpg

Thanks Mama Owl! I'm adding a closer pic of Carmela so everyone can see her color better. She is very gray with spots. View attachment 1844491
View attachment 1844490
Beautiful colors! I'm only guessing on the type and after this picture I'm really not sure what she is, but still beautiful. Like I said I'm pretty new to this myself, I have 3 five week old ducklings, a Cayuga and two Black Swedish.

In order of photos: Silver Appleyard, Black Swedish (background), and potentially a Blue Swedish who forgot their bib or a Blue Indian Runner, who forgot the running part [posture is more horizontal than vertical](foreground, I’m looking at the feet and bill colors)! That grey is a lovely color! Beautiful birds you have OP! :)

I have never seen or heard of a duck having feathers on their feet! After some brief research, my first thought goes to genetics— feathered feet are definitely a rare (Undoubtedly stunning) catch! Treasure it! As far as I know there are no health concerns that come with it, however there may be an underlying neurological issue if she has trouble fighting herself after a stumble.

As far as balance/uneasiness, they’re still growing and figuring out how those awkward feet work. Continue the niacin, make sure you’re supplementing it in their feed as well through Nutritional Yeast and peas. Niacin is a vitamin you cannot overdose as extra, unused B3, gets excreted with their waste :)

Last edited:
Thanks L Allen...i looked up the breeds and i think you're right. I'm feeding "nutrena all flock" and lots of peas. Will I always-for life- need to supplement additional niacin through water and food additions (not counting peas and other treats, but specifically asking about niacin powder or the yeast)? I've not tried nutritional yeast but will pick some up.

Thanks L Allen...i looked up the breeds and i think you're right. I'm feeding "nutrena all flock" and lots of peas. Will I always-for life- need to supplement additional niacin through water and food additions (not counting peas and other treats, but specifically asking about niacin powder or the yeast)? I've not tried nutritional yeast but will pick some up.

Nutrena All flock is a good feed! Our 4 are actually on this feed with a combination of other Nutrena feeds (Layer and Healthy Hen I believe). Though, I have recently found that specific feed, All-Flock, has a very low concentration of several necessary vitamins and minerals. Niacin was one of those.

Niacin is crucial to having strong and healthy ducks, in every lifestage, and it’s benefits are commonly recognized in their feet and legs. We supplement primarily through peas, however they do not get peas daily— we add nutritional yeast flakes into their feed. Adding Nutritional Yeast daily will not harm them in anyway, no matter the quantity you feed. Niacin is one of the water soluble vitamins (Vitamin B3) that all living creatures need. Therefore, it is excreted through wastes when in excess. Here are the two forms of Niacin supplements I recommend;

1) Pure Powder Niacin by Nutricost (pure quality, stronger dosages) [Given via water]
63520EDE-0C59-49C6-BAA2-36D9E683FD2E.png

2) Bragg Nutritional Yeast seasoning (other vitamins and minerals including Niacin, tastier, weaker dosage) [given via food]
91406C9C-29EF-41E9-BF09-D6A859B911F4.png

Niacin is great to have on hand always because it typically is the front runner in healing from most injuries. Which ever route you decide to take with supplementation, I’m sure they’ll be fine regardless. :celebrate Feeds typically supply the bare minimum necessities in regards to vitamins and minerals, so have a peace of mind knowing that your ducks are already receiving most of what they need. But yes, Niacin is a life long vitamin that ducks require (they have more of a metabolic demand for it than chickens)!

If it is any encouragement, I have never met a duck who didn’t like Nutritional Yeast flakes. To them, it probably tastes like candy! :lau

Back
Top Bottom