Strange looking eggs

Grandpawise

Hatching
8 Years
Jun 23, 2011
My grandson has 6 chickens. Before they started laying I would look out and he would be out there at 5:30 am watching for the first egg. The first one came at 18 weeks and soon all but one was giving him his brown eggs. One of them gave him a double yolk and then two eggs a day after that. At 22 weeks he got the first green egg. Now he gets between 5 and 7 eggs a day. The biggest chicken lays the smallest egg and the smallest lays the biggest egg. The green egg started out bigger than any of the others on the first egg.

The chickens are well loved by all four of the grand kids and they spend nearly 2 hours a day watching them. The 10 year old owns them and sits in the coop petting them and holding them. The chickens seem to love him as much as he loves them. The other day the one almost went to sleep in his lap and laid an egg in his lap. If you show him the eggs that have been collected he can tell you which chicken laid the egg.

The chickens are like kids and all want to be in only one nest at the same time. I have had to reach in and remove all but the one so she could lay her green egg. The rest seem to pick on her.

We are somewhat concerned about one. She has laid beautiful eggs until the last two days. The one egg was brown except on one side and it was a white quarter sized circle with a very dark brown marble size circle in the middle. Then today she laid a thin shelled egg that was a weird shape. It was almost normal on the one side and almost flat on the other. The color was uneven and the shell had two indentations on one side. The shell looked like it had been pecked on the end but that happened when it dropped. They get plenty of oyster shells and most of the eggs are so hard they are almost impossible to crack open. We are concerned that something has happened to her or she may be sick.

Does anyone have any input on this?

My chickens have laid eggs that are soft shell before, but then their eggs will return to normal. I am not sure what is happening with your eggs. Maybe someone else will be able to help. Good luck.

I can help....the same thing happens to me with one of my RIR's, Ruby. She likes to eat treats more than food and I have to watch her. Also in the summer heat they all eat less and then can get deficient in calcium and vitamin D. My girls are not interested in oyster shell so I give them ground up calcium tabs in their food and monthly they get cod liver oil for the vitamin D. I give it to them soaked in whole grain bread. Since I started that....no more soft shelled eggs. Good luck
wink.png

Quote:
I agree mine are like that as well! Stress and heat, weather can affect birds differently. I give mine there eggs back..cooked of course and well grounded so they dont start eating there eggs! it really helps with the shell being strong enough and a beautiful egg!

Back
Top Bottom