Strange Mating Question

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Luvmyducks, Aug 16, 2011.

1. Luvmyducks

Luvmyducks Out Of The Brooder

Jun 1, 2011
    Soooo my ducks have just started to mate or what seems to be "trying" to mate. I posted a week ago about the male holding the females head under water. Now it seems that when he tries to mate with them he has both his feet on their back and the kids say it looks like he is surfing!!! [​IMG] Does he just not know what he is doing yet???

2. Chriswardens52

Chriswardens52 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2011
    DuckVille Montana
    That is how they mate. The female will "broaden her self out" so to speak. The male uses her kinda like a platform. So yes it is normal.

3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Umm, that's how they mate. [​IMG]

4. Luvmyducks

Jun 1, 2011
    [​IMG] Ohhhhhh!!! Ok then....it looks so odd. Now I feel dumb!!!! [​IMG]

5. Chriswardens52

Chriswardens52 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2011
    DuckVille Montana
    Its all good. My khaki campbell thinks Im her mate and does that she lays flat on the ground and bobs her head. I feel like Im breaking her heart everytime I walk away. [​IMG] I keep telling my drakes to grow up so that she can fall in love with them instead of me. lol

6. DonaldFan

DonaldFan Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2011
    San Diego
    My girl was in love with Donald until he "got" her. Now she wants nothing to do with him. Is that normal or was he just too rough for her? (She's handicapped and I normally don't let them get that close - he was just faster than I was)

7. critterranch

critterranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2010
    Red Creek, New York
    piggy back rides

8. stargazingmommy

stargazingmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2011
    Spokane
    my daughter said our female turned into a boat

9. Luvmyducks

Jun 1, 2011
    [​IMG]

I know it is normal and all but it really bothers me. One of my poor little girls was quacking and trying to get him off of her the other day. She was NOT happy at all. I felt so bad for her. I yelled at him and he finally let her go.

10. bayyjayy

bayyjayy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2011
    Utah
    I hate the mating part of having ducks....that really is the only con to having ducks in my opinion. It makes the boys fight, too, which I don't like. When they aren't in season, everyone loves everyone else, but when they are.....ugh. Hate it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by