Strange pheasant-what breed?

Rowanm77

In the Brooder
12 Years
Jul 19, 2007
Blairstown, NJ
Hi all, Earlier this year I was at the local livestock auction and got one of many boxes of chicks. In it were two "ring-necked pheasant" chicks. Unfortunately, one stressed himself out and died. the other is alive and doing well, sometimes in my coop and sometimes running around in the yard. Meanwhile, she (?) isn't looking anything like what I know a ring-necked pheasant to look like! She is very pretty but I can't find a photo anywhere on the web that looks anything like her. Maybe someone in BYC can help? I know the pictures aren't looking too good but she is quite flighty. She has brightly colored red-pink "eye-leather" and legs to match. I just realized the other day her head almost looks like it may be growing a dark/black crest off the back if this helps any. She is only a few months old and between the size of a large banty and a small chicken. Her bill is a little greenish in color. I would really appreciate it if anyone could help me identify her breed/species and gender as I told the State I had a Ring-necked Pheasant when I applied for the permit! Lol!
0814081518.jpg

1012081650.jpg
1012081650a.jpg

1012081651.jpg

OMG! She does look like she developing into something like that gorgeous pic you posted! Thanks a bundle of feathers!!!!!!!!!!
big_smile.png

I just googled Silver pheasant and that's what she is! It sounds like I'll have to wait a while to see if she's a female or if she feathers out to be a male, lol. Thanks again for the help!!!
big_smile.png

Thanks for all the input! I, too, think she is a hen. I originally had two chicks and one seemed more "masculine" than the other and that's the one that stressed himself out and died. I may be wrong but I guess I'll find out in a few years! lol

Back
Top Bottom