1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Strange Polish behavior

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by bayouchica, Mar 19, 2008.

1. bayouchica

bayouchica Songster

Jan 23, 2007
    N.E. Louisiana
    Okay, I thought I had seen everything,till now.
    Yesterday it was hot up in the 80's,I usually run some water for the animals to cool their feet off. I walk up & hear this little Polish talking sweet chirps.... eating some spanish moss,while taking a bath.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] It was so cute,I had to stop what I was doing and sit their & watch. Poor thing needs another "hair" cut & maybe some glasses [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Feb 28, 2007
    South Eastern Indiana
    Awww, how sweet!! What a pretty boy!

3. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    That's got to be a first - I've never seen a chicken purposely lounging around in water. Cool picture!

4. hypnofrogstevie

hypnofrogstevie chick magnet

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    ok now Bayou you are starting to enable me to hatch polish [​IMG]

5. airmom1c05

airmom1c05 Songster

Feb 3, 2008
    Raymond, Mississippi
    That's so cool! I love the way the duck looks puzzled. [​IMG] I haven't seen a chicken in water yet, but I bet the hot Mississippi summer won't make me wait much longer.

6. bayouchica

bayouchica Songster

Jan 23, 2007
    N.E. Louisiana
    Awww, how sweet!! What a pretty boy!

I was scared of that Deb,lol.I thought I had only one roo out of the three Polish,guess it's two roos.
    I picked them out when they were chics because they were getting bloody tail feathers.
    That's so cool! I love the way the duck looks puzzled. I haven't seen a chicken in water yet, but I bet the hot Mississippi summer won't make me wait much longer.

Now you got me [​IMG] That's a little pullet on the walk boards,lol. Oh yeah, if you're not used to summer in the south,you're in for a treat. Hot & humid till October,September if you're lucky.
    When it gets over 90,I give the chickens a real shallow wading spot to help cool them off.
    Guess I know who'll be sitting in it,lol.​

7. Gersbud

Gersbud Songster

Apr 25, 2007
    Central Michigan
    Quote:[​IMG] Looks like my little bantie polish that is a hen. Feather on head look too round to be a roo. But I find that if there is a puddle or if I place water in a shallow dish in the chicken run my 2 banty polish like to just stand there or wade in the water.
    [​IMG]

8. Miss Sue

Miss Sue In the Brooder

Jul 19, 2007
    Connecticut
    That picture is a hoot. Our Polish likes to drink muddy water. The other hen, a Blue Orp., won't touch it.

Susan

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: