Strange Question Here

breezy

Songster
11 Years
Jan 7, 2009
Sand Coulee MT
Hi
I am wondering how much sunlight chickens need? I have a 10 x10 dog run that I want to put 2 chickens in.(2 is all Im allowed). It is situated under a huge ash tree and is covered in virginia creeper so it gets very little direct sunshine. Mostly just a little early morning sun.... then shade the rest of the day.I am planning on putting a small coop inside the run.
I would also like to know if the larger breeds fly much? I am looking at Australopes, Brahmas,Black Jersey Giants ect. I love those really big chickens.
I have been reading on this site and the pet chicken site as well but havent seen anything regarding the amount of light they need.
thanks for the help
breezy
PS I am loving this site its awesome!

edited for grammer and spelling

Last edited:
14-15 hours of light. normal daylight is fine. but have a place of shade for them

I used to raise parrots and I know that they are dependant on certain amounts of light to start a breeding cycle so I was sure chickens would need that as well to be good layers ...just wasnt sure how how was needed.
Thanks for the answers

welcome-byc.gif
Welcome to BYC!!!
yippiechickie.gif

In order to lay, chickens need 14 to 15 hours of LIGHT (not necessarily SUNlight) each day.

Where do you live??? In some locations, SHADE is a basic requirement during the summer!!!

So the answer is:: IT DEPENDS!!

I would try to make sure that the coop does NOT block any sunlight that would naturally hit the run.

Good Luck!!

Cindy

They need some direct sunlight, they get some kind of minerals or something like that from it. How much, I dont know. Would seem like an hour or two a day should be plenty. Total light(day length) also effects egg production but that dont have to even be sunlight.

My lil darlings get 14 hours and I was getting a dozen or more a day all through the 2nd week of December.... Now I'm lucky if Iget 8,

That set up sounds fine. My chickens love to dust bath and lie about in patches of sun in the summer (bearing in mind the rubbish summers we get in the UK!). I think in a very sunny climate shade is probably more important - chickens don't like to get too hot.

14 hours is optimum for egg production, it does not need to be direct sunlight. They would do fine in a mostly shady area.
As far as flying, the breeds you mentioned would not be able to fly out of the typical dog run that has panels that are usually 6 feet high. When they are young say three to five months they may give it a try and succed but once they mature about three feet is about all they can muster.

Daylight and sunlight are two different things. My birds (several different breeds) do not like to be in direct sunlight for long. In the warmer days they will sit in the shade and dust bath until the sun goes behind the trees in the yard. However if it is not too cold they are outside all of the time.

How much sunlight? I don't know but I'm sure your chickens will adjust to the shade they will be in just fine.

Off the subject kinda. Why only two chickens? Just like potato chips. You cna't have just one. Or two in this case.
lol.png

jeremy

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom