1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Strange Roo Behavior

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by marymac, Feb 12, 2009.

1. marymac

marymac Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2008
    Northeast Ohio
    While spending some quality time in the coop with my chickens, my little Buff Silky roo got into a nest box and started acting like a hen that was going to lay an egg!!!. A couple of the hens watched him and one even picked a little feather of his. He just kept fluffing his nest and picking up bits of shavings and adjusting the nest, then go around in circles and sit back down. this went on for about 5 min or so. What does this mean? It was funny to watch , and it gave me a good laugh:lau [​IMG]:lau

2. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Well, I read something on here about roos that will make the nest for their ladies...I've never had one do this, but perhaps this is what it's about. Getting it ready for the girls?

3. Pinky

Pinky Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    South GA
    My white leghorn does that.He likes to remind them where it's safe to lay eggs [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by