strange sleeping/resting position

Kriquet

Chirping
14 Years
Jun 27, 2009
Kansas City
So I just brought home the MOST adorable easter egger chick and buff orpington chick and they are totally different than my other 4 chicks!

The BO who is only a few days old bosses the much larger 1 1/2 week old chicks around and steals their mealworms!

The easter egger who is just a gem insists on sleeping and resting by laying completely on her side with her feet sticking straight out and her wings unfurled sort of like a blanket! It's terribly cute - but honestly - how common is this position for other chicks?
hu.gif

They will give you heart failure many times over, looking for all the world that they have died. It's normal, some do it, some don't.

Wait until they go outside and start dustbathing together! It looks like a huge pile of dead chickens- and then one blinks.
hmm.png
Scared me the first time I saw it.

lau.gif

Thank heavens there are other strange sleepers out there!
big_smile.png

I keep trying to get a picture but every single time I sneak up on the brooder - one of those silly Wyandottes spies me and wakes everyone up because she thinks it's 'treat time'!!

I'll keep trying - it really is totally adorable!

And I can't wait to see them dustbathing in a heap! That's FUNNY!
gig.gif

Quote:
That's not half as bad as them laying sunning themselves! They'll let you get within a few feet of them before jumping up and running away like you are going to eat them, when all the while you were thinking they had dropped dead!
gig.gif

My favorites are the ones that sleep standing up with the tops of their heads on the floor
gig.gif

Back
Top Bottom