Strange submissive like behavior?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Jeffross1968, Nov 19, 2011.

1. Jeffross1968

Jeffross1968 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Smoky Mountains
    One of my POL hens is doing a strange thing I've never seen. I've seen it a few times after she was mated by our young rooster, but a couple times I've seen her do it during feeding frenzy, after being pecked by another bird. Basically, she'll drop her head down and to the side, and walk backwards a couple of feet. Not squatting, she is standing up, but drops her head maybe an inch from the ground and backs up. Is this odd behavior or something that is somewhat normal?

2. Frost Homestead

Frost Homestead eggmonger

Jul 9, 2011
    Lago Vista, TX
    I've never seen one do anything like that but you're right in thinking it could just be that she's submissive, especially if that's the only time you see her do it

3. Jeffross1968

Jeffross1968 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Smoky Mountains
    Anyone else seen something like this?

4. TroutsChicks

TroutsChicks Fluffy Stuffins

Jun 5, 2011
    baxter Tn
    yeah, its please don't peck me ! One of my RIR does this.

5. Nonny

Nonny Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    My first thought is that she's looking for a bit of food she saw out the corner of her eye... the way you've described it reminds of how a sparrow acts when it's looking at a wormhole, with the head tilted sideways for a better view.

6. cochunk

cochunk Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2011
    my welsummer does that at night on the perch when the others peck at her, could just be the pecking order thing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by