Strange substance

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by debilorrah, Oct 4, 2008.

1. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

I have no idea what this stuff was, but I made our eggs over easy this morning, and when I broke the yolk on my eggs, a milky white substance came out of the white and mixed with the yolk making it very watery. And when I say milky, I mean white like milk, not water or egg white. Anyone know what the heck it was?

2. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I have no clue. Sounds very odd. Perhaps someone else will know...

3. holliewould

holliewould Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2008
    Planet Earth
    Maybe it was warmed up whites? Just a thought. Curious myself because my gal has been laying for almost a month and besides the double yolker every now and again, her eggs have been absolutely perfecto!

4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Deb, are you talking about the same problem I had with milky whites? or was it a seperate glob from the white?
    ETA: I shouldn't say "problem" since I found it it's not a problem at all. Actually a good sign that the egg is very fresh.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2008
  5. debilorrah

When I cut into the white it looked like a large amount milk was in there. Strange.

6. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    When I read your post the first time, I thought the white stuff came out of the yolk... obviously I didn't read carefully enough. If it was part of the white, I would guess it was just partially cooked white.

7. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I rarely fry eggs. We prefer them scrambled. I had a question about milky or cloudy whites as I mentioned and hinkjc directed me to a link that explained this was perfectly normal and a sign of a fresh egg. Do you remember that post?
    Here's a link to that information. It explains alot of questions about eggs that are different:

http://www.bfhd.wa.gov/edu/eggucation.php

8. debilorrah

I do remember that post. I didn't realize you were talking about something that looked like milk. It tasted fine - obviously it would take and act of God to make me NOT eat it. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by