Strange thing attached to egg

Suejordn

Chirping
Apr 18, 2020
This strange stringy thing was attached to one of the eggs this morning. I think it might be a new layer. All my hens are bantams and only two started laying the other three are all looking ready. One of my laying hens already laid and the other is in the nesting box. There are two possibilities for this strange egg. My silky went broody a couple weeks back and she’s been out of it for about a week and a half. So I’ve been waiting for her to start laying again. Well this morning I found her in the nesting box with this strange egg next to her. I don’t think she’s laid her egg yet because she still in the nesting box. 🤷‍♀️ but one of my other pullets that has been getting a very large red comb started making a lot of noise this morning. I have a feeling it might be this pullet that laid this egg. Is it normal for the first egg to be a little bit strange? After I took the stringy thing off, the little egg was perfect. It was a lot smaller than the eggs my other hens lay, But it was perfectly fine and normal. Oh and in the nesting box it was kind of wet.

Attachments

• 2C4C2676-DAB4-4DF2-8BEF-6983439C8362.jpeg
    2C4C2676-DAB4-4DF2-8BEF-6983439C8362.jpeg
    610 KB · Views: 31
  • A1AD56B8-D6CC-4E9C-A7C7-BBEFF15A1338.jpeg
    A1AD56B8-D6CC-4E9C-A7C7-BBEFF15A1338.jpeg
    608.1 KB · Views: 26
Well it is normal for the first few eggs to be small/bad shaped/strange, but I have never heard of that before. Sorry I could not be more helpful:)

Well it is normal for the first few eggs to be small/bad shaped/strange, but I have never heard of that before. Sorry I could not be more helpful:)
Thanks for replying! Hopefully everything is ok. My silkie still in the nesting box. She’s been in there since eight this morning. There aren’t any eggs under her. This would be her first egg in a couple weeks because she was broody. Maybe it was hers? Her system is still getting used to getting back to egg laying? I’m just not sure why she still in the nesting box. Or maybe she’s just taking a long time to lay an egg after being broody.

It looks like it was going to be an egg in an egg but the outside shell didn’t calcify, my friends had a few. They’re big eggs w a little egg instead of a yolk
Oh ok! Do u Thank it more likely that it was my silky who is still in the nesting box? Or a new layer. All my eggs are rather small since I have Bantam’s but this one is definitely a tad bit smaller than normal. Thanks for replying!

Could be either one, it’s probably from a disruption in laying, or one just beginning to lay, all of the little parts have gotta get their timing right. It probably won’t happen again. Keep your eye on the suspected layer. (Just in case it’s from an infection) but if it didn’t smell gross it’s probably fine and will correct itself. Make sure they have oyster shell or some other calcium source

Could be either one, it’s probably from a disruption in laying, or one just beginning to lay, all of the little parts have gotta get their timing right. It probably won’t happen again. Keep your eye on the suspected layer. (Just in case it’s from an infection) but if it didn’t smell gross it’s probably fine and will correct itself. Make sure they have oyster shell or some other calcium source
Good to know it’s probably not serious! Yes I’ll keep an eye on them. Yes, they have oyster shells and seem to eat everyday. I’m always having to replenish their bowl! Thank you so much. In case this helps, I cracked the egg and ate it. It looks completely normal. The shell was very hard to crack though. Thanks so much for all your replies!

Ok, so the silkie I was talking about, who was broody and came out of it about a week and a half ago and who was sitting in the nesting box all day, is acting really strange. She Has only come out once and this is what her poo looks like. She also looks really puffed up and slightly lethargic. I thought for sure she was going to lay her first egg today but nothing. Could it be possible that another pullet laid the smaller first egg and my silkie laid the Gooey thing just on top of normal small first egg?

Attachments

• 27E1F22D-6E74-4108-ABB1-F4F39A9F67B4.jpeg
    27E1F22D-6E74-4108-ABB1-F4F39A9F67B4.jpeg
    677.7 KB · Views: 19
  • 6F493499-3598-43C5-90E3-C76F56A5374A.jpeg
    6F493499-3598-43C5-90E3-C76F56A5374A.jpeg
    829.6 KB · Views: 13
  • 10FF8F87-C6CC-4B3C-A35F-0B821C06B8BB.jpeg
    10FF8F87-C6CC-4B3C-A35F-0B821C06B8BB.jpeg
    747.7 KB · Views: 12
  • E64F9285-3392-4CE5-8B87-5882F8800E19.jpeg
    E64F9285-3392-4CE5-8B87-5882F8800E19.jpeg