Strange

Jun 16, 2020
Hi all.

I have a chicken acting very strange. She is a beilefelder hen, 3 months old, free ranging. She was laying down when I went out to greet the flock and didn't come over for treats. My flock is very friendly, but still don't enjoy being picked up, but will hang out to be pet. When I went to pick her up, she didn't argue at all. She wouldn't eat cracked corn out of my hand, which she usually does. So I put her in the coop, and she just stood there, not really moving. She actually seems a little off balance. I separated her and put her in the brooder with food and water. She wasn't really drinking on her own at all yesterday. Today I put her beak in the water. She just stood next to the waterer and took a sip every 20 seconds or so. This continued for about 5 minutes. Now she is just laying down. Wasn't interested in the grower feeder crumbles. What do I do?

Is she having any runny poops or any blood in them? How does her crop feel? Is it empty, full, hard, or puffy? Do you have any Poultry NutriDrench or vitamin/electrolytes on hand? Gatorade or Pedialyte will do in a pinch. Does she seem to be walking and using both legs normally? Can you try feeding her some scrambled egg or wet chicken feed? Canned cat food or tuna are sometimes good as well. Could she have been kept from food and water until she became weak. Or could she have been injured? What all do you feed your chickens?

Poop seems normal. Crop seems empty. She is using both legs, though seems unstable when I put her down after holding her. We lost a chicken from a predator, and I think she may have been hiding. I don't see any injuries on her. I really hope it is a weak issue and I can get her back. Right now, they are on grower feeder and free ranging. I will give her some scrambled egg. Thank you for your help.

Hi all. Update. Chicken is still not doing well. Only eats and drinks when I feed her. Now she can't walk very well. Please help. I have been giving her vitamins and feeding and watering. I am feeling like it may be a lost cause... How do I share a video?

Back
Top Bottom