Strangely Shaped Eggs

MegsEggsx

Songster
Nov 24, 2020
Australia, QLD
I know that abnormal eggs are common. But this was the third one this week, they are from the same girl, a black sex-link. All three of the eggs are the same; large eggs, normal egg colour for that hen, pretty thick shell, they have almost a band around the middle and it is not shaped round and egg shaped. Is it something I should be getting worried about it?
96B6EDFF-5701-488F-AFB9-DB7BB81C0178.jpeg
EBAE234A-FB9B-494C-B720-D37E5D97F5BA.jpeg
8295221D-906A-45DC-8A61-CECC76CBAE71.jpeg

What is a wonky shell gland?
One that doesn't function correctly.

None of my chickens have had an annual molt before and I am assuming they are probably due for one soon so that could be possible.
Ah, I see you're down under, she could be ramping down production for winter break and molt. You can get some funky eggs around that time.

Or she could have been startled and flew/ran around in a panic during shell formation.

One that doesn't function correctly.

Ah, I see you're down under, she could be ramping down production for winter break and molt. You can get some funky eggs around that time.

Or she could have been startled and flew/ran around in a panic during shell formation.
I am kind of excited for their first annual molt! I have always wanted to see them all scraggly and funny looking, the time might be coming near!

It is also possible she had a little panic attack or something, that one is my most flighty and I always struggle to pick her up. We have a lot of things that could have scared her, my cat was probably teasing her. My cat is tiny and would really struggle to kill one of my chickens because they are bigger than her, but she is often caught staring at them, daydreaming. It wouldn't surprise me if she 'playfully' gave my girl a little fright just for the fun of it! :rolleyes::idunno

Back
Top Bottom