Stranger behavior for a rooster? Anyone?

007Dawn

Out Of Coop
10 Years
Apr 29, 2009
We have a one year old rooster who is big and looks perfectly healthy.

Three days ago I noticed him standing up and "sleeping". That night my husband wask woken by the dog to go outside and pee at 3am.

So my husband took the dog out and found Roo Roo up and marching the pen. We bougth thought this was weird.

And now it is the third day and Roo Roo is still sleeping. All day long.

Is this normal or should I be worried, as I'am?

Not sure. Sounds like he has got his days and nights mixed up. I am sure someone in this site will be able to help.
smile.png

Do you have a roost up off the ground for your chickens? Do they go in at dusk and climb up to roost?

I would definitely give him a good inspection. Catch him and check his vent for pasty-butt and signs of mites and lice. check his eyes and listen to his breathing. Feel around for unusal bumps and swellings. Feel his crop and see if you think it is empty or full or possibly impacted.

While his sleeping habits aren't necessarily a sign of anything, any unusual behavior should be an excuse to check him out more closely.

Maybe he has just taken to hunting mice?

Yes they have a large area to roost and they do. I felt him around a bit and he feels normal. I don't see anything on him as far as lice or anything but will check again.

No heavy breathing, just lots of sleeping!

My first thought would be that there was something prowling around at night that made him feel that he needed to be on patrol all night long, rather than sleeping. Poor guy! What is your ratio of hens to roos? Sounds like he might need a "second in command".

Shelly

Roo Roo has four hens.

We have another rooster with 6 hens but they are much smaller than Roo Roo's family so we keep them seperate.

What do you mean a second in command?

I thought maybe he was in with too many hens and feeling overwhelmed. Sounds like that shouldn't be a problem, though. I do think that something has made him feel like he needs to be on guard all night long. You might need to check into that.

Shelly

I had a year and a half old rir roo that was doing the same thing. It took about 2 weeks for me to figure it out. My problem was rats at night, My roo was up all night battling the rats, yes he was a real warrior for his ladies. At night I removed the food and water, That cleared out the rats

Wow funny but late yesterday afternoon something came in the yard because all of the dogs went nuts growling and barking hissing you name it. Chickens went into hiding and the cat when under the house. I thought what the?

Then I went out and couldn't find anything but the smell made it very clear we had a skunk in the yard.

He doesn't want to open his eyes but I would bet the skunk may be the reason for his late night prowling. Hopefully it won't come back. My yard smells so badddddddd.

But we will keep any eye out...my husband is a night owl and is uaually up until about 1. So hopefully we can get rid of whatever it is if it is not only the stinky butt.

Thank you so much for all of your post. Roo Roo I think slept a bit last night because his tail feathers were up and he is walking around a good bit again! Thank you!

I just love my Roo Roo.

Back
Top Bottom