Strangest behavior ever

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by suebee, Jul 22, 2008.

1. suebee

suebee Speaks Silkie Fluently

Apr 1, 2007
    N. Carolina
    I have 7 silkie hens. One went broody May 1st, hatched and raised the chicks. She cut the apron strings yesterday, July 21st.

From May 1st to July 21st NONE of the other silkies layed eggs. Not one egg.

Yesterday, the day she stopped being "Mommy", the other silkies started laying eggs again.

I have NEVER had this happen before...the entire flock stops laying because one hen hatches babies???

2. FrontPorchIndiana

FrontPorchIndiana Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2008
    Indiana
    Really? I had no idea they would do that.

3. rebbetzin

rebbetzin Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2008
    Tucson AZ
    hmmm.. could they somehow be affected by the hormone levels of the broody chicken? Much like women living together will find they will many times sync up when it come to their monthly cycle?

Just a thought....

Last edited: Jul 22, 2008
  4. ashyannehand

ashyannehand Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2008
    Wade, Mississippi
    Wow! I have never heard that. I asked my grandma. She raised chickens for years and she said that she has never had that happen to her. Weird! [​IMG]

5. suebee

suebee Speaks Silkie Fluently

Apr 1, 2007
    N. Carolina
    Yes weird huh!!

I've had silkies for over 6 years. Hatched chicks using silkie hens but I ALWAYS had some eggs.

This is the first time its ever happened. My husband brought up the hormone thing yesterday.

rebbetzin, you may be on to something...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by