"Strangles" In horses

chickenbarn-gal

Songster
9 Years
Jun 6, 2010
Michigan
My sister's horse barn (where she boards her horse) has just been quarantined because one of the horses was diagnosed with Strangles. This disease cannot effect humans but it be very easily spread from horse to horse.
hugs.gif
sad.png

This disease can be fatal.
th.gif
sad.png
Our horse is not showing any signs or symptoms, but is there anything I can do to HELP prevent him from getting it? The horses are separated, but it is still extremely likely that he can get it. Please answer, and tips or suggestions? Please answer ASAP!
hit.gif
thanks.

Last edited:
I would write the owner of the sick horse and ask them if they could send their horse to a vet's stable. Most large animal vets have their own stables for times like this. Make shure you remind them how fatal strangles is. Good luck
fl.gif

Consulting your vet would be your best option.
smile.png

But, don't touch the infected horse, don't use any grooming tools, tack or feed bowls that have touched the infected horse and don't go around petting all the other horses in the stable, assembly line style.

Good luck, hope the sick horse gets better and your horse doesn't get it.
smile.png

Years ago, after commercially shipping one of my geldings (a yearling), he came down with strangles. He received heavy doses of an injected penicillin for 10 days and recovered without a problem or aftereffect. Symptoms, as I recall, were fever and nasal discharge with a swelling of lymph glands in his neck and throat.

Since it is highly contagious, stalls had to be disinfected as part of the course of treatment. When he recovered, we also had to strip his stall down to the bare floor, replace all the feeders and waterers, and wash down the walls with bleach. And the vet warned us not to miss a single INCH of that stall or we'd risk another outbreak.

If I can answer any questions, don't hesitate to ask!

HTH

Rusty

First, do not worry too much. Strangles is hardly ever fatal... measles or the flu probably have comparable mortality rates in humans, I would guess. Mostly it is a giant big pain in the patootie, and not much fun for horse OR horsekeeper.

There's really nothing you can do other than avoiding obvious exposure to germs. Realistically though, when you get strangles at a big barn, some horses get it and some don't and that's just the way it is. Don't do anything ELSE to stress him, but you probably weren't going to.

Honest, it is really pretty rare that this is a real bad thing, mainly it is just a huge management headache (because it IS so contagious)

Best of luck,

Pat

check your horses temp and for obvious symptoms and then leave him alone, dont ride, dont stress, just leave them be. after words sanitize everything.

We vaccinate for it. I would ask the vet if you could go ahead and vaccinate. I realize he may have already been exposed but perhaps he hasn't. The vet will know if it is worth it. Good luck and I hope you don't have to deal with a sick horse!

Strangles is a strep infection & usually non-fatal unless it turns into Bast**d (silly BYC changed this word to "jerk") Strangles and affects other organs.
In a boarding situation sanitation is THE most important step to preventing the spread to uninfected horses.
Here's some information for you:

http://evrp.lsu.edu/healthtips/Strangles.htm

Your sister might want to print this and offer a copy to the barn owner.

There is a vaccine, but it's about 50% effective in preventing the infection.
Since it can be delivered intra-nasally (so no risk of needle abcess) ask your vet about administering the vaccine to your horse.
Major PITA for a vet to enter an infected barn as then he/she needs to sterilize clothing, instruments and vehicle before going to another location.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom