Strategies for dissuading free-range hens from laying in ad-hoc nests

brycepj

In the Brooder
Dec 17, 2019
It's my first Arizona summer with chickens, and I recently learned that their coop is too hot for them to comfortably lay eggs in during the day. They laid in the nesting boxes I built them for about 9 months, and then one week, I started finding caches of eggs in random places across the 1.25 acres they free range on. The property is mostly pasture but has way too many natural nooks, shrubs, and dark corners for me to keep track of. I moved their nesting boxes to a temporary place that is much cooler and has more tree cover, and fortunately they've been laying in them about half the time.

But... I'm still finding caches of eggs every few days, sometimes in new places, and sometimes in the old ones.

Questions:

1. Any tips for making a natural nesting spot unappealing? For example, short of chopping down a shrub they've been laying under, what can I do to get them to decide not to lay there any more?
2. Any tips for getting chickens to consistently return to boxes they used to use, but have now gotten out of the habit of using?

Maybe the answer to #2 will be the answer to #1?

Thanks in advance!

My coop is fine in summer, and I keep them in many days until noon or later, in their coop/ run combination, and it does help. Shade and coolness is vital! Can you improve your coop and run environment, with more shade and better temperature control, so they want to be there? More trees and shrubs, for example, a roof, shade cloth, or something? Fans?
Mary

Back
Top Bottom