Straw a necessity?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by michiele, Oct 5, 2011.

1. michiele

michiele Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2011
    Broken Arrow, OK
    Is straw a necessity for the nest boxes? My pullets are getting to laying age and I want to get the nest area correct. Can it just have pine shavings in it like the coop?

2. krcote

krcote Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2008
    Concord, NH
    I've used pine shavings, they work great. I've also used straw when I had some on hand, works well and is pleasing to the eye. I've also used pine needles, and office paper shredding. Be creative, try a few things and find out what works best for you!

3. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

You can use pine shavings. There are almost always options on these things.

4. LT

LT Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2011
    West Fork
    We only have pine shavings in ours, but we did put a piece of cardboard in the bottom of the nest box just in case they settled that far down into it. All four of our layers have used the boxes from the beginning with no complaints.

5. KenK

KenK Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2011
    Georgia
    Mine tend to kick the straw out of the boxes more than they do shavings. They know that if they dig through the straw they might find a grain of wheat or two.

6. Achickenwrangler#1

Achickenwrangler#1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2011
    west virginia
    theyjust need a soft layer for the eggs to land on. if you have a box that can hold a nice thick layer of pine shavings that would be ideal (I've found that pine shavings don't stay put as well as straw) so I use a combo of straw and pine, in the nest box I think pine is better, its so clean and you can easily see when it gets dirty - if it does.

7. sulco

sulco Out Of The Brooder

Sep 21, 2011
    Up in da UP, eh!
    I plan to use paper that is shredded from work. At nearly $6 a bale, straw could get a little expensive.

8. fshinggrl

fshinggrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    the edge of insanity
    I use hay. Seems to work.

9. southerndesert

southerndesert B & M Chicken Ranch

Jun 17, 2011
    Morristown, AZ
    We have always used straw, but mainly because it will compost better than the pine....

The chickens don't seem to have a preference [​IMG]

We do use pine in the brooder though.

10. AngelaB

AngelaB Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2011
    Michigan
    I plan on using straw just because I can get it free from our family's farm. I use pine shavings on the floor of the coop though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by