straw better than hay for warmth??

klf73

Mad Scientist
14 Years
Jun 1, 2008
Maine
We called the local feed store to see if they had hay, we told them we wanted it to help keep our chickens warm. They told us to use straw because it was warmer. Is this true? I am asking because we have received misinformation from them before
hmm.png

Krista

Last edited:
I always use wheat straw hay in the winter, and yes it does keep any outside animal warmer. The thing with straw hay is it is hollow in the center and traps air which in turn heats up well with the birds body heat. regular hay just doesn't work as well.

I tried hay last year and had problems with moisture and mold. It could have been just the hay but up to then and now I don't have moisture and mold issues and I use wood chips and straw.

jeremy

Just to clear up some confusion, hay is food and straw is bedding. I see the two words used interchangeably but they are two different things. I am not looking to correct any body really, just want to make sure people who don't know better realize the difference. After all, hay is more expensive than straw. I'd hate to see someone buy hay when all they really need is straw.

Being a newbie to chickens, I was talking to my daughter's sitter who grew up with chickens. I told her I needed some hay, and she asked for what... I told her for the nest boxes, and to cover some bare spots in the yard. She informed me that hay would not be a good idea because it would create a weed problem in my yard. Never thought of that! I'm now going to be on the lookout for straw!
smile.png

Good info to know!

I wish I could use straw. Hay is expensive and I have too many mouths to feed to use it for bedding (can't make the goats understand that). I've been using shavings, which are also expensive and not as warmthy. Straw however, makes my allergies do the nasty. It makes me sick and scabby. I'm open to any other suggestions. I've exhausted my brain trying to come up with something we can all benefit from.

Long as they are nice and dry...tend to harbor lots of mold.

Thought of ground corn cobs? Some folks swear by them and they tend to absorb excess moisture. Or maybe a mixture of these and shavings.

Back
Top Bottom