Straw eating fools!

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by amishhippie, Nov 3, 2013.

1. amishhippie

amishhippie Out Of The Brooder

Apr 3, 2013
    My run recently turned into a mud pit and I know that straw is just a temporary solution, but it's what I had to do. The run is ten by twenty and they had never been on straw before, 6 red sex links and 3 RIRs, and now they are scratching through it and eating the seeds and straw! I just noticed tonight that their crops were full and I mean full, still soft and didn't seem to be tender. Then I noticed long straw poop in the coop, they are still laying eating and drinking and have free choice grit and shells. I am wondering if I should keep them on the straw or remove it? They are about nine months.
    Thanks for the input!

2. RanchGirl13

RanchGirl13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mine have straw for bedding in the coop and when i clean it and let them back in they scratch through so I think it is fine but i dont know mine have always had straw available it could be yours just need to get used to it

3. amishhippie

Apr 3, 2013
    They have had it for a couple weeks, maybe longer, I'm probably just noticing their full crops and jumping to conclusions. They were used to getting grass and veggies from the garden, but that's over till the spring. They may just be having a tantrum like my labs since their treats are gone!

4. RanchGirl13

yeah they just need to get used to it

5. amishhippie

Apr 3, 2013
    Thanks!

6. RanchGirl13

Glad I could be of help

7. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Sand is great for solving mud problems, but can wash away over time. It is what I use inside the coop and nestboxes, and outside the coop in walkways.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by