1. midwife mama

midwife mama Out Of The Brooder

Mar 1, 2009
    montana
    I have been told conflicting advice regarding which to use in the coop (deep litter) and in the run. The feed store folks and others have told me straw, but an old time chicken owner told me straw blows too much and hay stays in place better. We can be kind of windy here in Montana. Your thoughts?
    Thanks!

2. dappertophatter

dappertophatter Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2008
    The Jersey Shore
    Shavings are much easier to clean out- hay and straw tend to compact into a giant sheet that takes FOREVER to break up into manageable pieces. Hay and straw also tend to mold if they get wet. It can get seriously windy here right by the beach and we haven't had any problems with shavings. Good luck!

3. ~*Sweet Cheeks*~

~*Sweet Cheeks*~ Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Olympia Washington
    I use shavings layered with wood pellets and DE for a dry and smell free coop.

I use wood chips I got for free in the run.

4. MMPoultryFarms

MMPoultryFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2010
    Okarche Oklahoma
    I use straw with some wood chips in the bottom havent had one single problem thus far. Wood chips are not as easy to clean for me as I have Huge Brooder areas and the straw comes out in big clumps. Easier for me to Burn that way. [​IMG]

5. easton coop

easton coop Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Winchester UK
    I got straw last week by mistake, i usually use hay. I didn't have the energy to cycle back to the farm store, and i thought it would be fine. Anyway, straw is everywhere but in the coop now! I prefer hay with wood shavings in the boxes. I will use the straw on the veg patch! Hope this helps [​IMG]

6. TyrannosaurusChix

TyrannosaurusChix Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2010
    Savannah, NY
    i dont seem to have a problem with straw. the coop smells sweet with it in it. its cheap around here.

7. NevadaRon

NevadaRon Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2010
    Dayton
    I also use straw with the deep litter method. So far, I haven't had any issues. But, I'm in a desert (dry) environment, so mold is not a problem. I haven't put anything in the run - it's just plain dirt (sandy) right now.

8. Barry1963

Barry1963 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 2, 2010
    Madison, Tennessee
    I use pine shaving on the main floor of the coop, but the girls want straw in the nest box. I occasionally throw some straw in the run and then rake it out after a week, it helps in the clean up and makes great compost for the garden

9. Settin'_Pretty

Settin'_Pretty Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2008
    North Georgia
    saw dust is best
    pine shavings don't absorb as well

straw for nest boxes

hay can go into a heat, I think that's the worst choice of all

10. montanasandy

montanasandy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2010
    Potomac, Montana