straw or pine shavings

beeksnfeet

Chirping
7 Years
Jun 29, 2012
IL/WI border
We have had our 3 girls for a year now and I am in the middle of the famous SPRING CLEANING. I have always used pine shavings, but someone suggested to use straw in the nesting boxes, coop and run. I have one girl that insisits on sleeping in a nesting box and then poops in it too. Nothing I tried will make her stop and she isn't hurting anyone so I figure I would just let well enough alone. What do you all use? Anyone have any suggestions on the poop problem?

i personally use straw only for the nesting box. for everywhere else i use wood shavings. wood shavings do not smell as much as straw. as for the poop in the nesting box... you probably just have some broody hens. if you have any silkies, they are known for being broody and they might be the ones the poop in the nesting box. broody hens would rather die than leave the eggs to get up and eat, drink, or poop. i have a silkie and if i do not make sure she gets up and eats, drinks, and poops, i will also end up with the same problem.

I use a mixture of shavings, straw, grass cuttings, sand, peat moss (usually at the end of the year when. I have leftover from the garden), leaves , shredded paper and chopped straw. The bulk of the bedding is usually shavings with some straw mixed through. I use more straw in the nest boxes than on the ground. I find the hens can make a better nest in it then and the eggs are kept very clean.

As for the poo in the nest boxes you could try and block them off every night for a while to break the her habit. Maybe try and raise the roosts too.

Last edited:
We put felt pads in our nesting boxes then covered them with straw, I think it makes a better support so you don't end up with broken eggs in the box. It sure helped for us!

Don't use hay!! it is way to dusty and causes eye problems, it carries mold spores that cauze all sorts of problems and if it gets wet it rots and goes moldy very quickly!

I use shredded paper in the nesting boxes. It does not pack down hard and its and endless free supply. I use anything else in the run area, grass, leaves, pine, hay, whatever I am cutting that season. poop in the box is just a thing, maybe she did not shut the valve off in time, thinking it was the egg. the valve is not open at the same time, but she may get in there early and just need to go. I leave mine well enough alone. what are ya gonna do, have a good strong talkin to em' about where to go?

I have one girl that insisits on sleeping in a nesting box and then poops in it too. My flock has one too!
Nest boxes
In my nest boxes I fold a feed bag to fit (nest boxes are 1 ft³). When a bag gets soiled; fold a new one; pop out the soiled; pop in the new. My feed bags are a nylon mesh bag similar to this about 40lbs.

Easy peasy!.

Last edited:
i personally use straw only for the nesting box. for everywhere else i use wood shavings. wood shavings do not smell as much as straw. as for the poop in the nesting box... you probably just have some broody hens. if you have any silkies, they are known for being broody and they might be the ones the poop in the nesting box. broody hens would rather die than leave the eggs to get up and eat, drink, or poop. i have a silkie and if i do not make sure she gets up and eats, drinks, and poops, i will also end up with the same problem.

I went with straw in the nesting boxes and shavings and straw mixed in the coop. We have 3 Buff Orpingtons, very docile and loving. No broodie's yet, just a chicken who likes to sleep in the nesting box. And the other two sleep outside on a roost. They all used to sleeep inside the coop on the roost, then they all changed when we got rid of 2 White Plymouth Rock who were just nasty and mean. Tried closing off the boxes, and removing the roost in the run and it did work for a bit, but no sooner then it's put back up, out they go! Our run in very secure and enclosed on 3 sides, so I am not worried about other creatures getting at them. I figure they know where it's at and what it's for, so it's up to them now! Thanks for the reply.:)

I use a mixture of shavings, straw, grass cuttings, sand, peat moss (usually at the end of the year when. I have leftover from the garden), leaves , shredded paper and chopped straw. The bulk of the bedding is usually shavings with some straw mixed through. I use more straw in the nest boxes than on the ground. I find the hens can make a better nest in it then and the eggs are kept very clean.

As for the poo in the nest boxes you could try and block them off every night for a while to break the her habit. Maybe try and raise the roosts too.

I have 3 Buff Orps so the coop isn't huge. We had 2 we gave away for safety reasons and now they have the place to themselves. I did put some straw in the run and had a blast watching them try and figure out what it was. They were having a great time pecking through all of it. I put straw in the nesting boxes too. I think they will adjust. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom