Straw or Shavings? Help please!

MadamPoofyBrow

Crowing
7 Years
Jun 15, 2015
When I first got my first chicks I used pine shavings. I know cedars bad. They did fine with the shavings, but when I ran out, I started using straw. Shavings were pricey at the store.
Now, straw's running nearly five dollars a bail (Drought and stuff, everything's going up)
And I discovered just today that there's a saw mill real close by that sells 42 gallon bags of pure pine shavings for $4.00, or pick-up trucks full for $20.00
So, what I'm wondering is, would 42 gallons of pine shavings or a bale of straw be 'more'? I have lots of chicken coops to clean, and am trying to save money on bedding :)
Thanks in advance!

When I first got my first chicks I used pine shavings. I know cedars bad. They did fine with the shavings, but when I ran out, I started using straw. Shavings were pricey at the store.
Now, straw's running nearly five dollars a bail (Drought and stuff, everything's going up)
And I discovered just today that there's a saw mill real close by that sells 42 gallon bags of pure pine shavings for $4.00, or pick-up trucks full for $20.00
So, what I'm wondering is, would 42 gallons of pine shavings or a bale of straw be 'more'? I have lots of chicken coops to clean, and am trying to save money on bedding :)
Thanks in advance!

I really like the pine shaving it does not stay as wet like the straw and a lot easer to clean

Well, only you will be able to figure out your pricing, based on the amount of floor space etc. No way anyone could possibly guess that!
smile.png
But I will tell you, based on years and years of cleaning out stalls and pens: shavings are WAY easier to clean up than straw. Hands down. You can take any tool in your arsenal of pen-cleaning tools and use it on shavings. Not so straw. It can get really compacted and with all the straws going every which way sort of sewing it together, it can be tough to get a shovel etc. through it. So, for me, personally - I prefer shavings. Even if they cost me more, for me personally, I save so much time in cleaning the extra money is totally worth it to me.

I really like the pine shaving it does not stay as wet like the straw and a lot easer to clean
That's a plus! We're having a particularly wet spell, and I can clean the coops one day and they'll be filthy the next
somad.gif

But does that price seem good for shavings? I wish it said poudage instead of gallonage
hmm.png

Well, only you will be able to figure out your pricing, based on the amount of floor space etc. No way anyone could possibly guess that!
smile.png
But I will tell you, based on years and years of cleaning out stalls and pens: shavings are WAY easier to clean up than straw. Hands down. You can take any tool in your arsenal of pen-cleaning tools and use it on shavings. Not so straw. It can get really compacted and with all the straws going every which way sort of sewing it together, it can be tough to get a shovel etc. through it. So, for me, personally - I prefer shavings. Even if they cost me more, for me personally, I save so much time in cleaning the extra money is totally worth it to me.
That's true. A pitchfork is just about the onlything I can seem to use with straw. The only thing I'm concerned about is maybe the chickens trying to eat them? Especially the Seramas :-/

It sounds fantastic to me. I have to pay $5.00 a bag from Tractor Supply. Ten bags does not even come close to filling up my truck bed. If it were me I'd take it and run.
I guess I will then! Shavings are sounding good, and if that's a good price, I'll be going to get some shortly!

That's a plus! We're having a particularly wet spell, and I can clean the coops one day and they'll be filthy the next
somad.gif

But does that price seem good for shavings? I wish it said poudage instead of gallonage
hmm.png

I don't know but the pine shaving is so much easer it dry's up a lot faster the straw gets so wet and heavy and not as clean as pine shaving yes I know everything coast so much +

Back
Top Bottom