Straw or Shavings

I use shavings plus a sprinkle of food grade diatomaceous earth. So far its working great with no smell at all. I clean it out about once every four months. Added benefit of taking care of any small pests my chickens may have picked up while they were outside scrounging around!

IMO, it's a personal choice. We started with straw, cuz it's what we had. We're using shavings now because we got a great deal on about 10 bags of it. When that gets low, we'll see what's available, LOL

Shavings. Straw compacts holds moisture and smells funny. Shavings can be fluffed with a hoe which adds insulation value to the floor. They smell clean. Plus they stay dry which keeps the girls healthy. Shavings are the way to go.

I found straw is really hard to clean unless you remove it all. I started using regular pine shavings and just switched to the finer ground shavings. I can now clean daily without having to remove a lot of the shavings so they last a little a longer. I only have 4 pullets though so it's probably a little easier for me . I just use a cat litter scoop and remove the poo.
I know it is really hard to get all of the straw out.

Shavings. Straw compacts holds moisture and smells funny. Shavings can be fluffed with a hoe which adds insulation value to the floor. They smell clean. Plus they stay dry which keeps the girls healthy. Shavings are the way to go.
I know what you mean. It does have a mucky smell.

I use mainly straw with alittle shavings mixed in, it helps with the smell too and I don't find it hard to clean my coop with all the straw, I use a snow shovel as well and a pitch fork!! I have 18 chickens and clean it completely out when it smells or looks bad. We have a bobcat and use the bucket right out side the door so it is so easy to clean.. I also of course have a poop board under the perches and use pine shavings , I did try sand but didn't really like it.

I use mainly straw with alittle shavings mixed in, it helps with the smell too and I don't find it hard to clean my coop with all the straw, I use a snow shovel as well and a pitch fork!! I have 18 chickens and clean it completely out when it smells or looks bad. We have a bobcat and use the bucket right out side the door so it is so easy to clean.. I also of course have a poop board under the perches and use pine shavings , I did try sand but didn't really like it.
I also have a big shovel. I have a leftovers of shavings from when they were babies, so I'll use the rest of that up.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom