Stray dog attack *graphic pics*

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by backyardmenagerie, May 12, 2011.

1. backyardmenagerie

backyardmenagerie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2011
    Kansas
    A stray dog attacked my chick pen last night! [​IMG] What's really ironic is that it's an anatolian shepherd. It's been hanging around here awhile and has picked off a couple of hens, and today it got a silkie. [​IMG]

Luckily, I found another silkie that I thought it had gotten, playing dead in the grass. I brought it in, since it appears to be in shock.
    I also had a couple of turkey poults in that pen, and one of them had the puffed up "I don't feel good" look. I brought him in too, and found he has been skinned on his back. He had some feathers stuck under the skin, so I pulled those out and cleaned it up as best I could, is there anything else I need to do for him?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 12, 2011
  2. terrilhb

terrilhb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Georgia
    I am so sorry. Did you catch the dog? I hope all works out for you. [​IMG]

3. backyardmenagerie

Mar 13, 2011
    Kansas
    Quote:Unfortunately I wasn't able to. But I see him around often, and now I have a reason to do something about him. This area is over-run with stray dogs, and so far none have bothered my chickens. I guess this one finally got hungry enough to try.

4. KlaHaYa Gardens

KlaHaYa Gardens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    I've used H2O2 and super glue on wounds like that. A good flushing, then glued the skin seems together.

I wish you the best.

5. backyardmenagerie

Mar 13, 2011
    Kansas
    Quote:Thanks! I will definitely flush the wound, though I'm not sure there's enough skin to pull back together. I will give it a try though. Thanks again!

6. WillieBoy

WillieBoy Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2010
    This is why roaming dogs get a hostile reaction from me why they enter my land.I'm sorry if the dog is hungry, but i eat eggs everyday, and i'm not going to go without because some dog killed my hens...! Sorry your dealing with this, good luck..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by