Stray Dogs [email protected]#@!!!*

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Hot2Pot, Sep 22, 2011.

1. Hot2Pot

Hot2Pot Fox Hollow Rabbitry

Feb 1, 2010
    West TN
    Quote:I would send him a bill for replacement cost for the chickens. Maybe next time he will keep the dog home. Sorry about your girls:-(

2. ChickieBooBoo

ChickieBooBoo Cold Canadian Chick

Dec 2, 2009
    Canada
    [​IMG] Sorry about your birds

3. Hot2Pot

Feb 1, 2010
    West TN
    Thanks, luckily I just hatched 20+ coturnix babies. So I will have layers again in 6 weeks. But I miss my sweet tame birds:hit

4. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    I would offer to take the dogs off her hands,and then take care of business.

For the other dog I would kill it next time, shrug the shoulders,and then say "Sorry" as I tossed it on the neighbors drive.

5. JD4570

JD4570 Chillin' With My Peeps

In my neighborhood the unwritten rule is control your animal or someone else will![​IMG] Any dog caught attacking my chickens or any thing else on my property is a dead dog.[​IMG] My neighbors know this. If I can control my dog they can control theirs. Hot2pot a good#4 load in a shotgun at closer ranges is very effective and quick if put into the head or vitals on dogs. Sorry for your losses.[​IMG] No wonder your bators are constantly running!

6. bakerjw

bakerjw Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2010
    Johnson City, Tn
    Whenever I am working outside I keep a 12 gauge with 00 buckshot in it nearby. Shooting a moving target is hard enough. This at least gives me some tolerance for error.

7. Hot2Pot

Feb 1, 2010
    West TN
    Those darned dogs were out there this morning again before I even got out of bed. DH shot one but it got away. So imagine my surprise this afternoon, when I looked out and saw one of those flipping dogs on the road from the barn, down by Chicken City, inside the fence. My dogs are not even barking! Useless dogs! So I get the gun and run after these dogs. I got several shots off but with them moving and me moving, a hit is unlikely. I mean, this gun is loud when it goes off! Why they come back is beyond me. Maybe they are adrenaline junkies. They had done extensive digging trying to get into the chicken tractor, but it was useless because the bottom is covered with hardware cloth. Oh, I am just so ready for these dogs to go away and not come back!!! If I had the money I would be out buying a shot gun.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2011
  8. Hot2Pot

Feb 1, 2010
    West TN
    Another day of dogs lurking around until I get out there, fired a few rounds, now both of them are limping. Have not seen the husky since DH winged it. This is awful. Why can't people keep their dogs home???

9. Hot2Pot

Feb 1, 2010
    West TN
    I shot one of them, but it got up and ran off. Hope they never come back, but I bet they will

10. BunnyMomma

BunnyMomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 17, 2010
    Olin, North Carolina
    I'm so sorry about what happened to your birds. I have a reputation in my neighborhood. [​IMG] 10 years ago I had a very similar incident on my farm. I borrowed my Dad's 4-10 and put a total stop to it. In fact, now I am known as the lady that will shoot your dog! I love dogs, it was one of the hardest things I've ever had to do. I was really concerned that one of them might attack my 4 year old grand daughter, or my other beloved pets. [​IMG]
    Now everyone on our road keeps their dog on their own land. I have dogs as well, they are well cared for and I keep them at home where they belong. The best way to get them is to set up a trap and blast 'em with a 4-10! My 4-10 does not kick, and it is very accurate. Borrow a friends shotgun, or find one and waste those killers, before they hurt someones children.
    Don't bother digging a hole either, just throw them on the side of the road.
    It might sound cruel, but a pack of dogs can be dangerous. More than likely they have not been vaccinated for rabies either.
    I hope you get them soon!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by