Stray dogs noticed my chickens....

Love2Homeschool

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jul 1, 2011
Texas
We have an over-abundance of stray dogs here. (I live behind a store and many people leave them there and then others keep them there by feeding them....but not enough to keep them fed, just enough to keep them hanging around.) There are at least 2 mama dogs that have had a total of 3 litters of pups in the past 8 months. And now the pack is about 8 dogs total. They have gotten into our trash several times and left us a real mess to clean up. (They especially like diapers....EWW!) Anyway, today I saw 3 of them eyeballing my chickens. I called the Sheriff's Department for our county, but was told that there is no leash law here so there is nothing they can do. Basically, if I see them on my property destroying my trash or bothering my chickens I can put them down. But I really don't want to wait until I have dead chickens to handle the problem. What else can I do to discourage "interest" in the birds? I'm thinking of running an electric line around the bottom of the chicken yard. Any other suggestions?

In your situation, you can only rely on yourself. You have to take what steps are necessary to protect your chickens. It does absolutely no good to talk about what pet owners should do. Irresponsible ones don't do it.

I just lost 8 chickens due to irresponsible pet owners dropping two dogs off in the country for the good life. My wife was crying for the dogs as much as the chickens when I took the necessary steps when they returned for more. I did not enjoy it either.

If you can do it, the electric wire sounds like a good idea.

Good luck!

Electric wire is a great idea, it should deter most critters including dogs- you can also scare them off with a paint ball or pellet gun. Or when you see them in or near your yard set off some fire crackers- make them associate your yard with bad things. good luck!

Unfortunately--just about a month ago we had two stray dogs (no tags on them) get 2 of my egg laying hens--had NEVER seen those dogs around here before and we have lived here 3 years and have only had my chickens since May and the egg layers for about 4 days when they were "taken". Well the dogs came back the next day for some more and I first sprayed them with my water hose and they left that time--then about an hour later came back and I had remembered my pepper spray--used that on them and they never came back after that.
Well just day before yesterday had two more loose dogs (they did have tags), which we had NEVER seen before harassing our cat and heading toward the coop--my husband tried to chase them off--one left and one started growling and nipping at him so he took a 2x4 and swung at him--and he ran off. Alittle later my neighbor said she caught the smaller dog and called the owner and the aggressive dog had already come home but they came and picked up the smaller dog. They told her they had gotten out when they were going to work and did not have time to "mess" with them--that morning. She said well if it happens again--and that one ends up biting someone you're not going to have to mess with it anyway--because it will be "gone". We don't tolerate peoples pets running loose tormenting pets and peoples...I mean what if that would have been a child instead of my hubby out there??? I can't believe the nerve....
somad.gif

I don't think you have to wait for them to kill your chickens before putting them down. If you know they're strays, take care of them before they get to your birds. Not only are you protecting your flock, you're also putting them out of their misery. They can't be living a quality life if they're only getting enough food to keep them around. They have to potential of starving to death, getting run over by a car, or dying of disease.

Use a .22 and put them down. Stray dogs can carry diseases as no one ic currently taking care of them. Animal control shoul be willing to help with stray, feral dogs. But I suggest a .22. If you were near me I would do it. I keep a Ruger .22 rifle and a Colt Frontier 6 gun by the back door for this very reason.

Use a .22 and put them down. Stray dogs can carry diseases as no one ic currently taking care of them. Animal control shoul be willing to help with stray, feral dogs. But I suggest a .22. If you were near me I would do it. I keep a Ruger .22 rifle and a Colt Frontier 6 gun by the back door for this very reason.

People were instructed in the beginning to be stewards of the earth - generally, we only have a little piece of earth to be steward of! That means getting it to produce some food, livlihood, or shelter for your family. No stray ANYTHING belongs on the piece of earth that you are steward of. You have to take responsibility for your own, and deal sometimes harshly with intruders and critters that mean to do harm. And don't have a guilty conscience about it! (my two cents;) )

Back
Top Bottom