Stray dogs

I was just psycho granny from the Beverly hillbillies Runnin through the woods with a gun screaming and hollering after two dogs that came to kill my chickens.
killed one right in front of me- chickens screaming and trying to get away!
I didn’t know how many were killed! I tripped on a root and went splatting on the ground- got up and kept on going!
Right to the neighbors door huffin and puffin and beating on their door with my trusty rusty BB gun in hand 😂
They directed me across the street but I came back tried to find chickens couldn’t find them- got angry again and marched my ass up the street and told that man, I was giving him fair warning that his dogs are chicken killers. Then I saw his dogs. Wasn’t them. And he said if his dogs come in my yard, shoot them. He’s a meth head.
Told my boyfriend and he said “ I don’t know what to say”.
because he’s told me endless times not to let my chickens out. But I just got home and I had just let them out and I was right there!
anyhow- I just wanted to vent. They’ve all come back except for the. Silkie they killed in front of me.
I’m so tired of stray dogs.
Dogs like Foxes will just go berserk when the kill frenzy gets them. Obviously very distressing for you. Fortunately Chickens seem to die very quickly from shock, so hopefully the one that passed did not suffer too much.
I would only make the comment though, that while I can understand wanting to chase the culprits down shooting them with a BB gun unless it was a pretty sophisticated one would not be humane, and only likely to cause a lot of suffering in another animal that simply has natural urges. Even small animals like cats can have pellets embedded which will only cause pain, but will show up on x-rays.
The correct way to dispatch a dog is with a bolt gun, or a real firearm through the skull with the shot directed backwards towards the spine. A BB gun will be very unlikely to pass through the skull.

Also, shooting to wound, not kill, is considered animal abuse and illegal in many places. if you do shoot, plan to kill, and that's not a BB gun!
A major issue with trying to shoot those predators, is gun safety, and being totally aware of what's behind the target. Hitting another animal, or heaven forbid a human who's back there!
Mary

Also, shooting to wound, not kill, is considered animal abuse and illegal in many places. if you do shoot, plan to kill, and that's not a BB gun!
A major issue with trying to shoot those predators, is gun safety, and being totally aware of what's behind the target. Hitting another animal, or heaven forbid a human who's back there!
Mary
Very Good points. If it is worth shooting over it better be worth killing over, Always know the path of your bullet and where it is going to stop. I won't poo poo the 22 Long rifle though if it is put where it is supposed to be it is up to the task. But if you aren't up to the task then perhaps a 20ga with buckshot may be the answer. Just Be safe we want ya back.

I don't think it's OK to shoot another person's dog just because they have natural urges to chase and kill chickens...... I mean, come on, we are talking someone's Fido here who probably has a family that loves him. And don't say I don't know what its like because my neighbor's dog actually did somehow get inside my fence and killed one of my hen. Yes, I was mad but I also understood that they are just animals and acted accordingly.

If you love your chickens, build them a spacious run. Then build a fence around the area of your chicken yard. It took me a couple of years, but I perimeter fenced our 2 acres (5 ft fencing), then fenced the chicken/duck yard inside our perimeter fence and fenced several goats pens( all 4 ft fencing). I never have dog problems. I rake up the grass clippings and toss them in the chicken run, which makes them very happy. They also get kitchen scraps and I pull up weeds regularly to add to their snacking. Let's face it, everyone likes the taste of chicken, including dogs. My dog is an English shepherd and he does his best to protect all my critters, but I leave nothing to chance. If I & my doggo are away on errands, which means going to town about 40 miles away, I don't worry about neighbors' dogs.

. A BB gun will be very unlikely to pass through the skull.

I wasnt aiming for his head.I wanted him to get out of my yard.

Also, shooting to wound, not kill, is considered animal abuse and illegal in many places.
!
Mary
Ill take my chances in court

If it is worth shooting over it better be worth killing over, Always know the path of your bullet and where it is going to stop.
I'd agree with you if we were talking about me with a real gun. There are reasons I do not have a real gun here- dont judge someone if you do not have all the facts.

I don't think it's OK to shoot another person's dog just because they have natural urges to chase and kill chickens...... I mean, come on, we are talking someone's Fido here who probably has a family that loves him.
WRONG! Again, these are not strays they are dogs that roam the countryside and cause havoc amongst the livestock. Untrained. If someone loves their dog, they should train them and they should secure them.
Boyfriends dog broke his cable and killed 13 of my chickens. he loves his dog. That was a one time mistake, dog no longer lives here. Neighbors who let their dogs roam, do not love them.
If you love your chickens, .... I never have dog problems. ...
Again, IF I love my chickens... really? You know me? So, dog comes on my property and kills my chickens so I must not love my chickens.
My chickens have a pen. They have a spacious coop too. They enjoy the grass, and eating "bugs" and cabbage out of my garden. QUALITY of their lives.
This is not my property to fence. I have said that previously in this thread. Dont assume.
And congrats on not having the dog problem, congrats on affording fencing and the physical capabilities to put up fencing, and congrats on having a dog that doesnt kill. You must love your chickens.

I'd agree with you if we were talking about me with a real gun. There are reasons I do not have a real gun here- dont judge someone if you do not have all the facts.

WRONG! Again, these are not strays they are dogs that roam the countryside and cause havoc amongst the livestock. Untrained. If someone loves their dog, they should train them and they should secure them.
Boyfriends dog broke his cable and killed 13 of my chickens. he loves his dog. That was a one time mistake, dog no longer lives here. Neighbors who let their dogs roam, do not love them.

Again, IF I love my chickens... really? You know me? So, dog comes on my property and kills my chickens so I must not love my chickens.
My chickens have a pen. They have a spacious coop too. They enjoy the grass, and eating "bugs" and cabbage out of my garden. QUALITY of their lives.
This is not my property to fence. I have said that previously in this thread. Dont assume.
And congrats on not having the dog problem, congrats on affording fencing and the physical capabilities to put up fencing, and congrats on having a dog that doesnt kill. You must love your chickens.
I have chickens, next door neighbor has dogs. He is also a relative. It is very isolated area and no other neighbors for 1/4 a mile. His dogs run loose, my chickens run loose. My chickens do not invade his yard, his dogs invade everything, go where they want. I have a 22 long rifle with rat shot and shoot to kill bullets, so far rat shot has kept the dogs away and relative, neighbor, irresponsible dogs owner knows I will shoot to kill. Like you this is not my property to fence-I am considered co-owner-it's complicated and I am physically unable to build fence. Do what you can to protect your property, be responsible. Love is a word, a feeling. Responsibility is a job.it's your job to do right and keep your part of this world safe,secure, clean, healthy, and happy. Good luck

Yow! Insulted much? I get it; you're tired of losing treasured birds and dealing with apathetic neighbors. If it's not your property to fence, you wll likely have to keep your birds in their runs. I daily harvest weeds, grasses, and veggies that I toss in my girls' runs. I tell them it's salad time and they come running. It is not ideal perhaps, in some folks' way of thinking to keep them penned. However, a live chicken with lots of goodies to rummage through is better than a dead one. We have other predators along with dogs. Our hawks here are protected, so it's illegal to shoot them. I used to free-range my girls, but no more. My girls have about 9 to 10 sq ft each in their coop/run area, so they are not crowded. I rake up grass clippings and fallen leaves and toss it all in the runs. They have shavings in the coops, but the runs get all manner of yard stuff. I toss in leftovers from our fridge, my husband gives them fish carcasses when he comes home from fishing. According to Temple Grandin, who is a noted animal behaviorist, chickens have a high "seek" need. So I make sure they have plenty of stuff to scratch through. BTW, it took me two years to fence my property and I have rheumatoid arthritis so I can tell you it wasn't easy. Before that I had to deal with neighbor's dogs too. I have always thought it odd that those of us who farm will fence our livestock, but some dog owners feel no responsibility to do the same. I know a local sheep farmer who has the motto "shoot, shovel, and shut up." He got tired of losing lambs to dogs, and I don't blame him one bit. Where I live, most dogs are pig hunting dogs, so they will hunt anything and everything. Some folks are responsible owners, but many are not. I didn't have a dog when I started my egg farm, but now that I have one who is bred to oversee a farm, I worry less about mongoose and such. The fences and the runs take care of the rest....except an occasional wild pig will bust through the fencing, but they don't eat chickens. I'm sorry you are so frustrated, but problems have solutions. You might try expanding your run so the birds get more room to rummage around, and bringing the yummy green stuff to them is extra work, but it will make up for less freedom. BTW, when I sell pullets to people I always tell them, everyone likes the taste of chicken, especially dogs!

I had some neighbors dogs some years back running around the perimeter of my pens. I did tell the owner and never had a problem with the dogs after that. Other people haven't been as lucky. I believe a responsible dog owner would keep tabs on their dogs. There are a couple I see on my game cameras once in awhile. I have asked neighbors if they know who the owner is but no one seems to know. As long as they don't bother my birds I won't bother them but if they so I would first try a paint ball gun with a nice bright color and if the dog continued to come around and bother my birds then I would assume the owner doesn't care and I would SSS. This is just my opinion, I'm not advocating SSS.
IMAG00021123 06.jpg

Coyote.
IMAG0001222019 12.jpg

Back
Top Bottom