stray peacock...

wf1992

Songster
6 Years
Jun 1, 2017
Okanagan, BC
One evening, 2 peacocks and a peahen wandered into our yard. The peahen soon left, walking back up the road with one of the peacocks. The other peacock remained. It's been 2 weeks now, and he's still here! Roosting each night in a tree at the back of the property, and making a whole lot more noise than our rooster ever did. He has a beautiful tail, but is missing most of the feathers on his neck. We assume that's related to how he ended up the odd man out, with only our indifferent chickens to romance...

I've no idea how to take care of him until we can find out where he belongs. I'm wondering if he doesn't require some food or something? Should I worry about his bald neck? Any thoughts on how far he might have come? I'd have thought we'd have noticed if the neighbors had peacocks. Will he eventually go home on his own, or do we now have a peacock?!:confused:

One evening, 2 peacocks and a peahen wandered into our yard. The peahen soon left, walking back up the road with one of the peacocks. The other peacock remained. It's been 2 weeks now, and he's still here! Roosting each night in a tree at the back of the property, and making a whole lot more noise than our rooster ever did. He has a beautiful tail, but is missing most of the feathers on his neck. We assume that's related to how he ended up the odd man out, with only our indifferent chickens to romance...

I've no idea how to take care of him until we can find out where he belongs. I'm wondering if he doesn't require some food or something? Should I worry about his bald neck? Any thoughts on how far he might have come? I'd have thought we'd have noticed if the neighbors had peacocks. Will he eventually go home on his own, or do we now have a peacock?!:confused:
I had 2 peafowl that wandered into my chicken yard, I thought they were Cute----they started roosting on the edge of my chicken pen. Long story shorten---in a couple weeks +/- the chickens in that pen and a few in the pens on either side got sick and some started dying----drove 6 hours to get a Necropsy done. Lost a total of 28 chickens. If I see any more birds coming my way, I-----well I will say they will Not be welcome here. Good Luck

I had 2 peafowl that wandered into my chicken yard, I thought they were Cute----they started roosting on the edge of my chicken pen. Long story shorten---in a couple weeks +/- the chickens in that pen and a few in the pens on either side got sick and some started dying----drove 6 hours to get a Necropsy done. Lost a total of 28 chickens. If I see any more birds coming my way, I-----well I will say they will Not be welcome here. Good Luck
This is an interesting post and even though this is the peafowl section a health issue is a health issue as with peafowl and chickens it is normally the peas that die. Can you say what the necropsy revealed and what they felt killed 28 chickens.

This is an interesting post and even though this is the peafowl section a health issue is a health issue as with peafowl and chickens it is normally the peas that die. Can you say what the necropsy revealed and what they felt killed 28 chickens.
I do not remember the medical terms---its been some time. One of the peafowl did die according to the neighbor(about 1/4th mile away) that owned them---I think he said he gave the other one away(wonder what happened to it) some of his chickens died. The pea had a HUGE puss filled swollen eye---the eye was getting worse the few days it was roosting on my pen so I started running them off then mine started getting sick. The Necropsy said something in the line that my 1/2 grown chicks were eat up with tape worms and their immune system was down and what ever it was they had, most could have over it if they were not already sick from the worms but what ever it was they would probably be "carriers" if I am remembering this correctly. They were quarantined about 100yrds from the rest and down a hill. The Vet suggested that I should think about putting the rest down---their eyes were swollen, I was giving them vet/rex and something else the Vet told me to use---they were a bunch of sick chickens. I put them down and buried them deep.

Wf1992 years ago my peas used to wander until I learned what I needed to do to keep them home. The furthest they were from home was a mile and a half. No doubt they can and do stray much further than that. Since you are not familiar with peas you might want to not try to try any help with his neck feathers as they will regrow.

PD River man, I jumped to the conclusion that twenty eight birds died from the same disease at the same time. Thanks for the clarification.

Hmmm. Sounds like I should be asking around a little further afield than I thought. And I hadn't thought so much to help with the neck feathers, more wondering if that is something that will resolve itself (since I didn't think this was molting time) or a sign of illness.

Is it safe to assume he's getting enough to eat thru foraging?

My kids are hoping he'll drop a couple feathers before he goes, but we'll have to find his owners eventually. It gets to -25C in the winter, and I've nowhere to house him here!

WF1992---- Peafowl will free range your property until they feel threatened or don't have food. If he is staying around then he is comfortable. Most free ranging Peafowl leave because they feel threatened. If you put out some chicken scratch or bird seed in a pan he should eat it. Put it in a tray on a table or elevated platform where others won't eat it yet he can see it from his roost. Don't attempt to catch him to treat his wounds unless you plan on putting them in a pen or he will feel threatened and won't come back. -25C where are you located?

My peacock has been living and free ranging my property for about 3 months now. I live on 16 acres but he never seemed to stray too far from the house and would roost high in a nearby tree at night. For almost a week he has taken up residence at a neighbors house, does not come back here until it is almost dark and leaves first thing in the morning. Apparently, they are not feeding him but now he does not even eat here anymore. Two nights he has stayed away all night at least as far as I can tell. He seemed happy here and was somewhat interactive with my husband and I but now he will not even walk near us. he runs the other way when he sees us. I cannot understand what has changed and am somewhat heartbroken. It is mating season and I have no hens for him. There are no hens within miles and miles of my very rural community. Will he come back? Any ideas or opinions?

One of the biggest tricks I have learned is treats. Feed them treats every day. I have mine eating from my hand everyday. They love unsalted peanuts and berries. They will come back every day for those treats. Feed them in the same spot everyday and try to get the same time, evening is good so they always come home around dark. It works.

Thanks. I will try that. I have tried grapes, raisins and fresh corn as treats. The fresh corn he ate on his last night here and did not eat it again when I put it out before sunrise when he leaves. Grapes he would eat when thrown to him and raisins in his food bowl when he still ate here. I will try the peanuts and berries if I see him again. I can hear him in the far distance occasionally, so I know he is around, but am unable to round him up. Thanks again for the tip.

Back
Top Bottom