Stray Turkey Hen

alexxkilbzz

In the Brooder
Jul 9, 2015
We have a stray turkey hen living in our yard! I had been hearing this strange rustling in the trees above our goats for about a week so I had been watching very carefully for a predator and then one morning after feeding there was a turkey hen walking around with the chickens! (we have chickens, pekin ducks and guineas that all free range). She's been officially with us for 2 days now, I saw her for the first time Sunday morning and she's been hanging out all day today, and she flies way up into the big pine trees to roost at night. I've seen her fly and I can still hear her up there at night. She likes the other birds but runs off into the woods any time I go outside- even to feed. She's also tolerant of the dogs and cats but she doesn't let them get too close to her but she doesn't take off like she does when she sees me. She also learned from the chickens that the goat fence is a good place to roost. So she's not too timid of the goats either. We are in Northern MN so wild turkeys are not abundant here but there are a few. I also have no way of knowing if she is a neighbors that ran off. What I am wondering is will she stick around or will she wander off someday? If she does stay, will she ever trust me? Also any idea what type of turkey she might be? She does not seem to have any white on her at all and she's very quiet. I haven't heard any noise out of her. I don't need to hold her or anything but I feel bad scaring her off into the woods every time I go outside. I know better than to catch her or pen her. I'm just wondering how this will all play out. I don't mind her staying but I'm not deliberately trying to make her stay. I'm sure she eats some of my bird's food but I don't make a point to try to feed her. She seems to like it here for some reason. I just wonder if she'll stay and why she chose it here! Here's a picture I snapped from my door.

She's probably a eastern wild turkey, does she look like this, note the dark brown tail tips :

She only lets me get so close but she does not appear to have any white on her at all. Her tail is all brown and her wing feathers are a little lighter of a brown - but no white. She also doesn't have a very mature looking head, although I know hens don't get the same look as the toms. I still wonder if she's young.

It's possible it's a young hen who lost her mother and flock mates and doesn't know where else to go. Around here sometimes wild turkeys will feed in people's yards and at the bird feeders.

Back
Top Bottom