Stress free vs store bought?

squiqwe

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jan 16, 2010
Cortland,Ohio
I read so much about free range, organic etc. but what about stress free eggs? I found very little online about the subject. I have to believe the benefit of eating eggs from stress free chickens are better. Am I right ?

Not trying to be sarcastic....but how does one determine that a chicken is stress free? I don't think its possible to either determine that or to produce an environment where there is never, at any time, in any way, stress. To some extent, stress is a good thing, its a natural part of every living thing's life - its only when the stress is at too high of a level that it becomes a problem. If a chicken is truly "stressed" then chances are it won't be laying eggs...so by that theory aren't all eggs from stress free or low stress chickens?

Sounds like a desperate marketing ploy, IMO.

my girls free-range but I don't consider them stress free. I can't own a rooster by zoning laws.

The girls are probably always stressing about stray cats - hawks - raccoons.

At least once a day I go bolting into the backyard - when they all start cackling at once I know something is after them and I go running. I haven't lost one since May so I must be an OK house rooster.

They are spoiled rotton but they are NOT stress free.

Maybe they are all given Xanax?
pop.gif

Not sure why everyone has to be so particular but this thread does say verses store bought and we all know how those hens are treated right? I think that is much more stressful then eggs that come from being raised at someones home. I think that is the differences they are talking about.

Commercial eggs verses eggs raised by a private individual at home.

Last edited:
Quote:
Sure, eggs raised by a private individual who takes proper care of his/her flock, they are probably better. Or eggs from a small farm, again with proper care, feeding, etc. Those are probably better. Because of the freshness, the dietary advantages of allowing the omnivorous chicken to have actual animal protein, plus or minus free ranging to again provide a healthier, more natural diet. But stress? Again, not trying to be sarcastic but it isn't like hens that provide store bought eggs get letters from free ranging cousins and then yearn for their freedom and produce inferior eggs. There are many, many reasons why home grown eggs are better....but IMO stress isn't one of them.

Id be stressed living in a 2x2x2 cubical day in and out with several birds per cage.....never get fresh air, daylight, move around etc.

They may not get letters but may not be happy necessarily either like I said I would not think so giving the conditions I have seen them in.....who says that the other birds they are with make them feel wonderful everyday, maybe they fight all the time or get picked on and no way out or a break just the way it is yeah maybe they don't know any different but how do you know they are not stressed out more then a bird at one of houses.....I am sure if bad enough to be noticed they would move them but still does not mean they are happy or stress free. Same with being raised privately there can be stressful situations but I think it can be a little more customized to the birds, wants, needs, likes, and see better what is going on, and offer better options.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom