Stressed out Cat!?!

Send him to CA
wink.png
...or find some Bach's Rescue Remedy and spend more time with your kitty.

Pheremones.

When DD left for college (our cat's favorite human), she developed "issues" with the litter box. Tried all of the above suggestions, immaculately clean box and area, etc.. Talked to the vet and was told a plug in pheremone thingy would help (you can buy them at the pet store). They are unscented to us humans, but "soothes" whatever anxiety the cat is having. It worked like a charm for us.

Good luck.

There is good advice above. The only thing I would add is to try to give the best attention to the cat while you are holding the baby or the baby is right there and pay less attention to him when the baby is not there. He will associate the baby with good stuff. If you only play with him when the baby is asleep he will resent the baby more.

Good luck.

My best friend had this exact problem. She tried showing more affection, but with two kids competing for her attention, it just wasn't enough. She finally decided to let the cats outside. For years she was opposed to this, but she's a believer now. The ad behaviour stopped. The cats spend most of their day lounging on the deck and pooping outside, and she can devote her attention to the kids.

* Ah, shoot. . . My oldest DS "backslid" from all his potty training when we brought baby home, too. A little jealous, and feeling a little ignored. Our cat was fine. . .
hmm.png

Thank you for all the great advice. I have tried giving him more attention. His litter box could be cleaned more often, so that is where I will start. If he starts up again, I'll try in the plug-in option.
fl.gif

When sitting with Avery, and the cat comes by, I let her pet him/grab his hair and he doesn't seem to mind. My DH and I both try and spend atleast 10 minutes a day with him, because like I said, he is a very nice cat.

SarahF

Just a thought ....but maybe the cat doesn't really feel the way you think he does about Avery grabbing him ..and he's too respectful of you to really show any displeasure. Even if she's not grabbing to hurt ..and actually hurting.... the cat could just have an aversion to it, altogether.

Is it possible to spend time with the baby and YOU stroke the kitty at the same time? I mean, don't prevent Avery from stroking the kitty gently ..by any means ....but I think this is stemming from the kitty feeling neglected by YOU ..and not your daughter.

..I'm not a cat whisperer
tongue.png

I had a cat that was 8 years old when my husband and I had our daughter. He started "spraying" urine in the house after she was born. I worked for a vet and had him checked out and there was nothing wrong other than he was mad that he had to share his attention. We tried everything we could think of and nothing worked either. We eventually had to put him outside. He has now been living well on the back porch/yard for 4 1/2 years and is doing great. Good luck... been there, done that
roll.png

Quote:
This is some of the best advice on this subject. Your cat is stressed at not being "#1". Let the cat check out the new addition to HIS family (under supervision of course) and the new clothes, crib..etc. Your cat is just trying to get your attention back.

Back
Top Bottom