Stretching run fencing

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by gootziecat, Aug 9, 2010.

1. gootziecat

gootziecat Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 27, 2007
    Hampshire Co, WV
    How do you all stretch your hardware cloth wire and/or 1x2 wire so that's it's nice and taunt but you don't break the wire stays?

2. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    Roll it out on the ground and walk on it while bending it to get it as flat as possible.

Tack the end to your fence and make SURE it's straight

Clamp the other end between 2 boards, and attach a single rope to each end and use a "come along" to pull from the center

Do all your fastening from one end, working towards the other

Last edited: Aug 10, 2010
  3. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

We call it "Walking the wire" Do like Bear says and have your butt facing the end you are working towards. Stand on the section your are attaching the wire to and slowly walk backwards keep the wire straight and tight as you go. Your weight will keep the wire from shifting out of position and hold the frame tight to the ground making it easier to attach the wire too. I use U nails to attach my wire.

4. emys

emys Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Idaho
    I have used my metal rake to grip it and pull it tight (not a leaf rake - the sturdy clod breaking kind).

5. Hunter0704

Hunter0704 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2011
    Wentzville, MO
    Lowes has a video and instructions on how to stretch fencing. Try it out and see if it helps

6. Stephen518

Stephen518 Out Of The Brooder

May 24, 2011
    Riverview
    Here is the link. I hope it helps.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by