Striking out finding ducks in southern WV

riverdaughter13

In the Brooder
Mar 23, 2015
Southern West Virginia
Okay, so first time posting after many hours of browsing the site!
So after much research, we have decided we are going to raise ducks for the first time. We have the supplies and setup necessary, now we just need the ducklings. Trouble is, we live in souther WV and all of the hatcheries I have found online and recommended by BYC are unable to ship to our area for some reason. I've been through Metzer, Meyer, and McMurray, among a couple others.
We are interested in Cayugas, or possibly Welsh Harlequins. Does anyone have any insight into this shipping problem, or have any recommendations for local or alternative hatcheries that might be an option. We are willing to pickup the ducklings. Some areas in VA would be great too, down towards Blacksburg.

Ahhhh, we just want some duckies!

Last edited:
I can't help with hatcheries but have you looked on Craigslist? Where I live I have seen several listings lately. Sometimes they are under farm and garden and sometimes under pets. Also our feed stores here sell chicks and ducklings. Good luck.

Other options include the free rehoming forum and the Where Am I Where Are You forum here on BYC.

Won't ship to your area, eh? Well, very little surprises me these days. Sigh.

I suppose if you have a friend in an area they do ship, you could enlist their help. I received the ducklings for a friend and myself when I ordered several years ago.

Another option - in a couple of months or less, there may be a flush of abandoned ducks showing up on ponds across the nation. You might consider adopting rescues. If you are adventurous, you might do some rescuing.

Back
Top Bottom