Stringy diarrhea: any ideas?

dustbath

Songster
11 Years
Jun 26, 2008
Washington County, NY
When I went out to the coop this morning, one of the hens was on the roost and I saw a long stringy strand hanging from her rear end. It didn't look like roundworms I've seen on dogs but more like residual diarrhea. Her dropping have been pretty normal, with some occasional diarrhea. Everything else is pretty much as usual. She hasn't been laying for a week or so but the weather has recently changed (I'm in upstate New York).

Does anyone have any idea what this could be? What should I do?

Thanks!

If she is new to laying eggs, it could be that she laid a shell-less egg and the shell is what is sticking out of her.

If she were one of mine, I would take her in and clean her up with some warm water. If it is the egg shell, if it is given a very gentle tug, it may come completely out. Dry her off completely and keep her inside overnight so that I was sure she was really dry....

I've tried the hair dryer, but most of mine don't like the noise.
roll.png

She's over 3 years old. It doesn't look egg related. She isn't very messy, just had a long strand of something (feces?) hanging down. I'm wondering if it's a sign or worms? Cocci? Anything else?

I did have a 2+ year old GLW that laid a shell-less egg and the shell was sticking out of her like I mentioned. It was just as she finished her molt last week. I guess I was thinking that but typed it as "new layer".

If you don't think this is egg related, you could isolate her overnight and feed her some yogurt with oatmeal in it to see if it clears up or continues.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom