Striped egg

Gary Willson

In the Brooder
5 Years
Dec 19, 2014
I think this is the first egg from one of my young hens. I've never seen an egg like this. Is it common?

Those are called White Banded Eggs (see pic on bottom right row of the Alltech poster) http://www.alltech.com/sites/default/files/alltech-egg-shell-quality-poster.pdf Quote " These eggs are the result of two eggs coming in contact with each other in the shell gland pouch. At this point, normal calcification is interrupted and the first egg retained in the pouch will have an extra layer of calcium - seen as the white band marking."

I find them periodically also, usually from older birds, think they are mainly caused by something stressing the hen stopping them from laying the first egg when they normally would.

Here is my Cream Legbar egg which is light blue with a darker blue stripe all the way around. Have drilled holes and dried it out and ah, ate the inside, delicious!

That's a pretty egg! Has she laid any more like that?

I love home-grown eggs because there is so much variety in color. My mom has a green egg layer that starts out dark green at the wider end of the egg and gets progressively lighter. I like the light brown ones with dark brown freckles that I get. I just love a colorful egg basket! Every day is like Easter!

This is from a few years ago. I need to add more colored layers to my flock.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom