Stripey Orpington?

Enj

Songster
Jan 15, 2018
Hello all, long time no post! Lots happening on my farm with lots hatching. Now one of my babies has stripes. Dad is a splash Orpington. Mum is either a blue or black Orpington, or a Wyandotte, or a lavender Sussex. No stripes in this family. Looks like a Plymouth Rock. Also has feathers on its legs? What the hell?

Attachments

• BD30ED1A-75FC-4786-9878-EF3FAC33EE99.png
    BD30ED1A-75FC-4786-9878-EF3FAC33EE99.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 54
Thanks for the replies, cool to know it’s part Wyandotte! Definitely no stealth mating, I’ve only got the one rooster and there aren’t ... oh.... just thought. I did have two new Wyandotte’s, but had them for a few weeks before the eggs were laid, and hens became broody. What length of time is it for a rooster to mate until the hen stops laying “his” eggs??

Thanks for the replies, cool to know it’s part Wyandotte! Definitely no stealth mating, I’ve only got the one rooster and there aren’t ... oh.... just thought. I did have two new Wyandotte’s, but had them for a few weeks before the eggs were laid, and hens became broody. What length of time is it for a rooster to mate until the hen stops laying “his” eggs??
Two weeks is usual, but sometimes up to 3 and a half weeks. So maybe the egg was fertilized by a previous rooster. Otherwise, someone would need to have the barring gene to give you a chick with barring.

There is no way a splash orpington is the father to that chick.
A splash bird can't produce a chick with black.
One of the parents also had to have the barring gene and one had to have feathered legs.
I don't see any of the birds listed as being either parent.

Last edited:
Sorry for late reply, all am Hicks growing up and doing well. Interested about the comment about the black coloring, the are more a blue/charcoal/black coloring, are you saying that my splash rooster isn’t the dad?

Back
Top Bottom