Stroke???

That is super news Davey the Mareks can heal itsself, good old mother nature hey. Just watch the others don't show signs down the track

All the best

We don't know what it was, but the symptoms were not Marek's symptoms either way.

Head trauma or inner ear infection perhaps, toxicity, or severe but short term deficiency, are all far more likely.

UPDATE:  The Guinea Hen is completely healed!  Symptoms lasted for approximately 14 days and she has been completely normal for 7 days now.  She has absolutely no balance issues.  I'm leaning more toward trauma-related than a disease process as she never was off her feed and had no other symptoms other than her inability to move in a straight line and swerving to the right.  While she had the symptoms, she kept herself low to the ground.  Now she stands up like the others.  Fortunately, none of my other guinea fowl or chickens have developed any symptoms, another reason to lean towards trauma-related.  Although my chickens have been vaccinated for Marek's.  The guineas have not been.

Thank you all for your input!  I so appreciate your feedback - I'm new at this and learning!!

Davey, here is a link to good info here on BYC on the disease (mareks) your one had and healed naturally https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/the-great-big-giant-mareks-disease-faq hope this helps if others also get it

Good luck mate

Davey, here is a link to good info here on BYC on the disease (mareks) your one had and healed naturally https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/the-great-big-giant-mareks-disease-faq hope this helps if others also get it

Good luck mate

There's still no proof whatsoever that his bird had Marek's, and using that thread you so helpfully linked to he will learn that those symptoms his bird had are (as I said before) not typical for Marek's, plus the disease is extremely rare in Guineafowl.

It's kind of bizarre that you keep insisting his bird had Marek's when you have no proof. Nobody knows for sure, not even a vet now because no tests were done. It's just a theory. It can be dangerous to assume you have certain diseases without knowing for sure.

Best wishes.

Hey Davey, here is more info on the disease you had, it also talks about mareks in guineafowl that breeders know get so hope it helps you with your problems http://www.examiner.com/article/how...mareks-disease-michigans-small-chicken-flocks

All the best

Read the info you supplied, I suggest, since you are clearly unfamiliar with the disease you're diagnosing, lol.

All available literature on it, and the links you've quoted trying to support your nonprofessional and unqualified long-distance and sight-unseen layperson's diagnosis, only reinforces the fact that this guinea did not have any definite symptoms of Marek's, and the disease is very rare in them.

This is a direct quote from your link above, regarding the supposed 'talking about mareks in guineafowl that breeders know get':
Quote:
Nothing new there, it just backs up what I said before. The rarity of Marek's in Guineas, combined with the different symptoms exhibited, do not point towards this being Marek's. Instead they point towards many other far more common diseases and causes.

You're not a vet, you did not test this bird, therefore you cannot make a confident statement of what disease it had, and you know this. I know this. Davey knows this. Everyone reading this thread knows this.

You can't keep persisting in misinforming people like you are without marking yourself most clearly and publicly as an unreliable source of information. Nobody in their right mind, newbie or not, is going to trust anything you have to say if you persist with spreading deliberate misinformation, as you've been doing across multiple threads lately.

Last edited:
I am a guinea fowl breeder. Have been for over six years. None of my guineas have ever had mareks and it is extremely rare. The OPs bird most likely did not have the disease. Guineas would only get the disease if they were in terrible, filthy living quarters and fed poor diets.

Thanks for your OPINION guineafowling you should note that they can get this diseae in clean conditions/quarters and even with good diets also, so do a google and check it out when you have time

ALl the best

Cheers

Back
Top Bottom