Stromberg's or Cackle Hatchery?

I copied and pasted their response on the Dark Cornish Bantams.

It is an old post so they may not even be on here anymore.

Here's the response:
The dark cornish bantams were terrible too, one was golden penciled, wrong all together.

I know this is an old thread. I am NOT being argumentative! Stromberg gets their SHOW quality chicks from Urch and Turnland NOT their everyday chicks!!!!!! They come from Privatt Hatchery! I got a 600+ order from Stromberg in 9-23-15. Everyone was VERY healthy BUT they are NOT good quality stock. I do not mean they are NOT show quality,( of course not) I mean they have not even correct type combs for their breed!!!! Very very unusual for silkies to ALL have single combs!!!!

If you want show quality birds don't buy hatchery bird.They are chickens but don't meet the standards.And strombergs sell crappy birds if your wanting to show.I know I have ordered from them 3 years ago and have 0 of there birds now.if you want good birds buy from a breeder who raises show birds its the ONLY way to get birds that look like the standard of perfection ask for.Its the only way.Please buy from a breeder that ships or a local breeder that you can go pick up birds. In the long run you'll have better birds and save money. good luck

P.S. I was the old guy that posted the thread on the dark Cornish bantams. Don't buy from any hatcheries .buy from a breeder,I did and everything is great now. .Hatcheries are ok for pet chickens or eggs or meat,not for showing. if you want a breed that looks like it is supposed to buy from a breeder period. good luck. thanks Larry

P.S. I was the old guy that posted the thread on the dark Cornish bantams. Don't buy from any hatcheries .buy from a breeder,I did and everything is great now. .Hatcheries are ok for pet chickens or eggs or meat,not for showing. if you want a breed that looks like it is supposed to buy from a breeder period. good luck. thanks Larry
Indeed! I ordered a few poults and saw Pyncheons! I have been trying to get them for YEARS;) Awesome little guys! But yes! as the saying goes," It cost just as much to feed and care for GOOD stock as it does cheap stock!" I would MUCH rather get a chicken that is indicative of the breed!!! Do you know of anyone who breeds Pyncheons? Or nice quality silkies and true bantam Ameraucana ? Thank you!!!!!

Indeed! I ordered a few poults and saw Pyncheons! I have been trying to get them for YEARS;) Awesome little guys! But yes! as the saying goes," It cost just as much to feed and care for GOOD stock as it does cheap stock!" I would MUCH rather get a chicken that is indicative of the breed!!! Do you know of anyone who breeds Pyncheons? Or nice quality silkies and true bantam Ameraucana ? Thank you!!!!!

For Ameraucana bantams, try: www.fowlstuff.com

I've only had a handful of Silkies, and they all came from Cackle--buffs and whites, and all had walnut combs that were mulberry or darker.

I Ordered from Stromberg's Chicks & Game Birds Unlimited and I actually spoke with their people directly, very nice and polite answered all my questions accurately. I told them my worries about the Chicks being shipped as this is my first time ordering Chicks. I ordered (6) Light Brahmas, (5) Black Jersey Giants, (5) Salmon Faverolles. From what I hear there's mixed feelings on Privett. .some had good experiences and some had bad experiences. .I'll be posting pictures of chicks along with my experience as well. I tried ordering from private breeders in the past but I've learned that they'll tell you what you want to hear, they'll try and sell you anything!!. .just speaking from experience, I wanted a Jersey Giant Hen and I ended up with a black Australorp. I wanted a Langshan and ended up with a white Jersey Langshan cross and a whole bunch of roosters the breeder claimed to be pullets. Just saying that you gotta research, I've researched for the past year in a half and asked questions while I'm definitely not an expert but a bit more knowledgeable than before but sure probably still naive a bit still too when it comes to chickens and that's why I joined this group to learn more. I've also heard bad things being mentioned about Tractor Supply and how they have low quality Chicks. .personally never ordered Chicks but I do shop there and have had excellent customer service and had questions answered with politeness. Any questions or concerns I have they answered both accurately and attentively and questions that they couldn't answer they pointed me to the right person to go to for correct
answers. I didn't go to tractor supply for my chicks because they didn't have the breeds I was looking for. I just hope I have a positive experience with Stromberg's and have something positive to post here when my Chicks arrive.

Last edited:
For Ameraucana bantams, try: www.fowlstuff.com

I've only had a handful of Silkies, and they all came from Cackle--buffs and whites, and all had walnut combs that were mulberry or darker.
Sadly, I know what you are talking about. All last year I waited for Basque hens. I wanted 20 BUT said I would take less if need be. The breeder kept putting me off and putting me off. They did NOT take my money BUT I would have been happier had they just said, " I will have to get to you next year." Or maybe only take an order of 10. Point is, I could have ordered from someone else had they told me the truth. I now see they supposedly have chicks again and still want the breed BUT will not order again from them. I asked repeatedly if they wanted money. I would have sent money. When I was very new to chickens, I got EEs instead of TRUE Ameraucas. Funny, I posted an ad for seramas in my area and got a reply from this seller;) He said he had seramas chicks from parent stock of OC seramas( a great breeder of seramas). I knew by his address it was him. I asked if I could see the parent stock. He never replied again;( I know there ARE good honest breeders of great chickens out there. Hard to find! And there are some breeds you simply cannot find!!! I have been looking for non hatchery stock ( only Privett Hatchery has Pyncheons and they drop ship for many others) they are a lovely breed! Cannot find them!

Back
Top Bottom