Stroppy teenagers?! šŸ”

Lazygaze

Songster
Dec 3, 2020
I have two 20week old pullets who are reddening in the face and obviously nearing egg laying age. One of them who has always had the sweetest temperament of the two yesterday ā€˜attackedā€™ my watch in an almost aggressive way! Rather hilariously she got ā€˜told offā€™ by the other one who pecked her on the head. Do pullets act like stroppy teenagers when they get to this age?! This morning she is being the dominant one and pecking the usually dominant one on the head šŸ¤¦šŸ½ Iā€™ve seen this behaviour in my human children so it wouldnā€™t surprise me if it happened with our chicken friends too. I hope itā€™s temporary as she has always been the calmest friendliest one! She has a hard beady look in her eye now.... šŸ˜†

I did also wonder if my watch- a Fitbit- might have emitted vibrations or high pitched sounds or something that upset her.. any ideas?

Attachments

• 263970E1-EB48-4E4D-832C-BACE7E904FEB.jpeg
    263970E1-EB48-4E4D-832C-BACE7E904FEB.jpeg
    173.7 KB · Views: 14
Yes, your chickens are just now developing a pecking order, so there is going to be some squawks and pecks for a few weeksšŸ˜…

donā€™t worry, once they establish their hierarchy, everything will calm down!

as for your Fitbit, Iā€™m not sure! I know that my chicks and hens have pecked my Apple Watch occasionally, but if itā€™s because of emissions or vibrations, Iā€™m not sure!

it might also be because it is shiny šŸ˜‚

They can get cranky when the hormones start running high(near point of lay).
Pecking orders are fluid and can change at this time....or anytime, really.

Don't let them peck you, peck them back.

Have had this happen several times, mostly with hand fed chicks often as they come of age and get spunky. It's pretty easily curbed with calm and deliberate determination.

I peck them back, on the head or anywhere I can reach, with the tips of thumb and first 2 fingers, as hard and fast as many times as I can before they get away. Well, not hard enough to hurt them, just startle them and let them you mean business. That's what another chicken would do, so they understand that kind of communication.

If that doesn't work after a couple applications, I hold them down to the ground with my hand on their back until they submit....again firmly enough to get the job done but not hurt them....add a few finger pecks and/or tug on the feathers on the back of their neck.

This is really useful info and advice, thank you so much!
When she did it I did gently but firmly hold her back down until she calmed down, but Iā€™ll definitely try ā€˜peckingā€™ her, that makes total sense :)

Haha I love them so much the little blighters šŸ˜

They can get cranky when the hormones start running high(near point of lay).
Pecking orders are fluid and can change at this time....or anytime, really.

Don't let them peck you, peck them back.

Have had this happen several times, mostly with hand fed chicks often as they come of age and get spunky. It's pretty easily curbed with calm and deliberate determination.

I peck them back, on the head or anywhere I can reach, with the tips of thumb and first 2 fingers, as hard and fast as many times as I can before they get away. Well, not hard enough to hurt them, just startle them and let them you mean business. That's what another chicken would do, so they understand that kind of communication.

If that doesn't work after a couple applications, I hold them down to the ground with my hand on their back until they submit....again firmly enough to get the job done but not hurt them....add a few finger pecks and/or tug on the feathers on the back of their neck.

Do you know what, after I posted that I wondered if it was simply because it was shinyšŸ˜‚ then I felt bad because I thought maybe she was actually trying to protect me!!! šŸ„ŗ
Thanks for your reply :)

Yes, your chickens are just now developing a pecking order, so there is going to be some squawks and pecks for a few weeksšŸ˜…

donā€™t worry, once they establish their hierarchy, everything will calm down!

as for your Fitbit, Iā€™m not sure! I know that my chicks and hens have pecked my Apple Watch occasionally, but if itā€™s because of emissions or vibrations, Iā€™m not sure!

it might also be because it is shiny šŸ˜‚

Back
Top Bottom