Struggling Baby Chick

krissyweso

Songster
May 26, 2020
Kent Island, Maryland
Hi!

I am the mother of eight chickens, two of them being new chicks I got last week.

My Easter Egger chick, Gazpacho, who is, I'm going to guess, about a week and a half old (she's still only 2.2 oz, but she has almost all of her wing feathers in and is sprouting her tail feathers) is doing great. She's eating and drinking and running and foraging and fluttering around outside. Very energetic.

On the other hand, my Porcelain d'uccle bantam, Moof, who is a little younger and only 1 oz, started going downhill after about 4 of 5 days, which I know if common, as this is when the yolk they are born with runs out. She's pooping fine, but she eats and drinks very little, and she is very lethargic. These are the steps I have already taken:

I have separated her from Gazpacho with a cooling rack in the brooder so that they can still see each other.
She has had Corid in her water ever since I got her to prevent any bugs she could have gotten in her previous environment.
She has been being given medicated starter.
I have fed her apple cider vinegar water
I have fed her raw egg yolk.
I have put fresh thyme in her food and water.
VetRX and Nutri-Drench in her water.
I've cleaned the brooder daily.
I check the temperature of the brooder maniacally.

I'm wondering if anyone has ANY other ideas that I can try?

I have VetRX, which I haven't used yet, but I don't think it's an upper-respiratory thing.

Anyway, I'm desperately fighting for this little baby. Please, if you have any ideas, I'd love to hear them.

Thank you in advance.

Last edited:
How about offering a nutritional supplement, like Poultry Nutri-Drench, just in case? Best wishes for Moof's recovery!
Oh, I did do that, as well! Nutri-Drench and VetRX. Forgot to put them on the list! I feel like I'm throwing everything but the kitchen sink at her!!

She made it through the night, and she seems to be doing a little better. I hope she keeps progressing. It's heartbreaking to see her feeling sick. :(

Save-A-Chick.jpg

Back
Top Bottom