Struggling with the mess šŸ˜­

I agree with advice given. Change bedding to pine shavings if you can. You can use straw over the muddy areas in the pen. I am lucky ( I am from England but now keeping ducks in NE Florida) as I can collect bags of dried fallen leaves from round my neighborhood. I store them and add to deep mulch all over my back garden throughout the year. It looks good, no bare dusty/muddy soil, and the ducks like foraging in it for bugs. I suspect you cannot get the quantity of leaves needed for this, in England, and that you are on clay soil. Put straw down is my advice, and as others said dig out the pine shaving bedding, when necessary, onto the straw in the pen as it will quickly contribute to the mulch anti-mud effort. Also, as I think someone advised, no food and water in the duck house once they are used to going into the duck house/coop at night. [I am able to have food and water in my coop but I have very sandy soil that drains well.) I feel sorry for all you folks back in England struggling with dull grey and wet weather. Then having ducks on top of that!!! But they are worth it once you get your system sorted

@Plague nailed it. You do not have enough space to keep that many ducks. The solution to pollution is dilution.
Hey thanks for your response, I am not sure this is entirely the case. I will definitely look into some more space but they have loads already. I made sure that before getting the ducks, that they would have enough space, I sent pictures to a couple of breeders and they said its perfect. Also we get long bouts of avuan flu over winter so I was 100% sure to make sure their run was big enough to see them through these episodes. However I will see what I can do to extend it if possible

Back
Top Bottom