Studding out a roo...bio-security???

kickinchicken

Songster
12 Years
Mar 23, 2010
Rhode Island
So, another BYCer and I have cochins and have bounced off the idea of studding my "possible" golden laced cochin to her golden laced frizzled cochin. This would be so fabulous...BUT....how does one do this...with bio-security and all? I come from a canine background and its not exactly rocket science to stud out a Labrador...but a chicken? This is new.

Is there a process and is it worth the effort and risk?

To me it wouldn't be worth the risk to my flock. A chicken may look healthy and you may know how well the others birds are kept, but they hide illness so well.
Isolation for thirty days, coming and going, would be the only way to do it IMO and the stress of that wouldn't be something I'd want to put my birds through.

On the other hand, I have a turken cockerel that is being an absolute turdball right now. Maybe I should stud him out and conveniently forgot to take him back.
barnie.gif

What about artificially? I saw a video about how to do it. There would still be risk of contracting disease as they are exposed to chicken material but it would be lessened to a degree would it not?

Back
Top Bottom