Stuffing recipes...

mamaboyd

Songster
12 Years
Jun 6, 2007
Kendal.Ontario,Canada
Does anybody have any good recipes for making stuffing(dressing) done separately in the oven. Somebody gave us a 22 lb turkey that we had to cut in half because it wouldn't fit in our oven, so now I can't stuff the turkey like I usually do.
sad.png

Thanks!!
Trish

Hope everyone has a great Easter!!
bun.gif

Hi

Our traditional family recipe is to fry an onion till brown in some oil, then add rolled oats and salt and pepper to taste and then warm through. We then add some crushed pineapple (from a can)...sounds crazy, but the pineapple gives it moisture and a sweet flavor. We often use the pineapple juice from the can to baste the chicken/turkey.

You can put this stuffing in some aluminium (ok...aluminum) foil rather than in the bird.

Its yummy either way!

Happy Easter

1 stick of butter - melted in large skillet
2 large onions - diced
4 ribs celery - diced - more or less - your choice

saute until tender - set aside

take one package of pepperidge farm dressing - herb or cornbread, your choice, put in large mixing bowl.

1 large family size can cream of mushroom soup
2 cans water chestnuts drained and chopped
2 cans chicken broth - 14 oz

1 pound of Jimmy Dean sage sausage - cooked and drained

Mix the soup and broth and pour over the stuffing mix; add the onions, celery and butter, and water chestnuts and sausage. Mix well. It should be very moist - if not add more chicken broth, put in 9 x 13 cake pan and cover with foil and bake 30 min at 350 -

I dont have exact amounts as I dont have a recipe but I use a bag of the soft stuffing bread you can get at the grocery, about 1-1 1/2 cup plain bread crumbs, couple tablespoons dried onion, parsley, celery flake, salt, pepper, 1 stick margarine melted, 1-2 cups chicken stock (enough till its moist and sticks together)
bake at 325* till golden brown and crusty

my kids dont like the crunchies (onion, celery) in theirs so I get the flavors with dried.

Thanks everyone, all the recipes sound so yummy!! This is the first time that I haven't been able to stuff a turkey
hmm.png
so I've never had to make it on it's own. Know I'm going to have to decide which wonderful recipe to try, maybe I'll try all of them!!!!

Happy Easter!

Trish

I noticed this was an older post, but I also noticed nobody said anything about cornbread dressing!! I can almost eat a whole entire pan of it by myself!!!

What I do is make two big skillets of cornbread, and boil a chicken.

I chop up some onions, bellpeppers and celery, and saute that for a bit...while that's going, get you some eggs on to boil.

When the cornbread is done and cool, crumble it all up, very fine, into at LEAST a 13x9 pan. Add your veggies, chopped hard boiled eggs, and chunks of chicken. Use the broth that you boiled the chicken in and soak it pretty good. Cover and bake at 350 for about an hour, give or take. Uncover during the last 15 minutes or so, but don't let it dry out. Make sure your crumbles are fine and it stays moist.

My mother-in-law makes the BEST cornbread dressing!!!

We make our Thanksgiving turkey in a kettle bar-b-que, so this is how I make my stuffing:

Cubed, dry bread (Toasted, or not.)
Olive Oil with Butter, or just one of them
Onions, finely diced
Celery, finely diced
Portobello Mushrooms (optional) de-gilled and cut fine
Salt
Pepper
Poultry Seasoning....I prefer Schilling
Chicken Broth, canned or homemade

In a pan, saute the onions, celery, and mushrooms...if using, in butter, olive oil, or part of each. Salt and pepper them as you cook.

Have the bread cubes in one or more large bowls, only half filled, so you can toss without spilling....or use a roasting pan.

Sprinkle the Poultry seasoning on the bread, being careful to spread it around, tossing the bread as you go.

When veggies are ready, divide them evenly into the bowls of bread cubes, pouring on the oil/butter, as well. Toss well, using a fork, or salad utensils.

Now pour broth slowly over all, stirring as you go, allowing the bread to take in the liquid. Keep going until it's as moist as you like it, mixing well, but gently. It won't be cooking as long as you are used to, so don't have pools of liquid in the bowl after the bread has soaked up what it's going to. I tend to err a little on the dry side, rather than making a soaking mess.

Taste and add more salt or poultry seasoning, if it needs it, or just doesn't taste enough like stuffing.

Put the stuffing into Pyrex dishes, and bake at 350 degrees until it's done to your specs.

Some people use a deep dish, but we like the top, so I use shallower dishes.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom