Stumbling chicken

Lwiley1959

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jun 21, 2011
Antioch,California
Hello, I have a 4 month old ameracana that started stumbling when she puts her head down to eat. She is bigger than her sisters and has a more developed comb and waddle. She sits on her butt when she puts her head down,but when she is running she looks normal. She gets bullied by the barred rocks ,but has no wounds. She can balance on a roost as long as it's wide enough. The other two chicks that are her sisters always try to get under her to sleep and have always done that. I am wondering if maybe since she is growing faster that she is just out of balance. I think she will grow out of it, but my husband is worried. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
That is a rooster, and he is an easter egger, I'm afraid. I'm not sure why he would be stumbling when he is eating. I would keep an eye on him to make sure he is eating and drinking well. Poultry vitamins in their water may do him some good. Was he vaccinated for Mareks disease? Here is a good diagram to show the rooster parts such as saddle and hackle feathers:

5f19d36d38c2352673e9dcef2c1c5882.jpg

Rooster Anatomy
anatomy-of-a-hen-small.png

Last edited:
She doesn't have Spurs up on her leg, just normal girl feet. Can't girls have pretty feathers too? She was always a little blonder than the red ones. They are vaccinated before they are sold. I will ask my breeder what she thinks. Thanks

That is a rooster, and he is an easter egger, I'm afraid. I'm not sure why he would be stumbling when he is eating. I would keep an eye on him to make sure he is eating and drinking well. Poultry vitamins in their water may do him some good. Was he vaccinated for Mareks disease? Here is a good diagram to show the rooster parts such as saddle and hackle feathers:

5f19d36d38c2352673e9dcef2c1c5882.jpg

Rooster Anatomy
anatomy-of-a-hen-small.png
X2 on the Rooster. I see saddle feathers and roo characteristics.
At 4months he will not have prominent spurs, mine is around 7months and just now spurs are developing noticeably. Hens can have spurs as well so that is not always an "indicator".
I also agree with @Eggcessive you need to keep an eye on him. The stumbling is not normal. Poultry vitamins in the water may be helpful.

He is a handsome rooster, and I have both ameraucanas and EE's, and they are both good birds. Imbalance and stumbling can be signs of dehydration, or of neurological problems, especially Mareks disease. More than likely, you are right that he is just growing quickly and a little clumbsy. Cockerels are also very active and flighty, so they can injure themselves easily.

I think he is handsome as well.
Just thought of this...since he is about 4months old is he possibly practicing/starting his "dance" for the ladies.
Mine does a shuffle step dance that looks almost drunken sometimes and he two steps/dips when treats are given-trying to get the girls attention.
Graceful isn't generally in their play book
wink.png

Well, I guess I have resigned myself to her being a him.....I changed her name from "girlfriend" to "Rocky" since he rocks back on his butt. Thanks for the advice and he WAS vaccinated when he was born. He seems to be holding his own against the bullies ( barred rocks) ;)

Back
Top Bottom