Stumbling Duck

I'd just like to add to what @Miss Lydia said. We have found that the best and strongest B- complex is the injectable kind that you get from Tractor Supply. We give 1ml orally even though it says injectable. Here is what it looks like.
A86322DF-C73B-40F3-9061-075DC90A598A.jpeg

I agree with @DuckyDonna it all depends on the problem. The quicker you catch a niacin def. the quicker it can be brought under control. What we have to do is eliminate since we're not vets. So stumbling can be a sign of a niacin def. we give B complex since that works better than Brewers yeast and Nutritional yeast once there is a problem. Hopefully this is what it is and by end of week you'll see improvement. How much niacin is in each of the b complex? If it's something else we should know soon.
There is 25mg in one pill, but I’ve only been giving them half. So, about 12.5mg.

Just heard from the lab. It could be a deficiency with the feed. She said riboflavin deficiency. Said to sent the feed nutritional info to our doc. They will test for lead as well

How are they doing?
One is doing better than the other. I have tried force-feeding, but she still isn’t eating a whole bunch. She spits 80% of it out. The other one will not eat at all. I’m afraid she may not make it. I called my vet, and she said to continue what I am doing and hopefully I’ll see improvement.

I also decided to treat for mites (I told the vet that too). We have had an issue with them before, and I had a chicken die from anemia due to a mite infestation one time. They acted pretty similar. Drunken like state with lack of appetite. I inspected them and couldn’t see a whole lot through their winter down, so I treated for it just in case.

One is doing better than the other. I have tried force-feeding, but she still isn’t eating a whole bunch. She spits 80% of it out. The other one will not eat at all. I’m afraid she may not make it. I called my vet, and she said to continue what I am doing and hopefully I’ll see improvement.

I also decided to treat for mites (I told the vet that too). We have had an issue with them before, and I had a chicken die from anemia due to a mite infestation one time. They acted pretty similar. Drunken like state with lack of appetite. I inspected them and couldn’t see a whole lot through their winter down, so I treated for it just in case.
If they are not eating and drinking properly, you can consider tube feeding. Here is a link on how to do it. Tube feeding can help them get survive times like this. If they haven't been eating properly, that is likely why they are nutrient deficiencies. Hydration is usually the main problem. If they are dehydrated, they could show drunken behavior like that.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/tube-feeding-ducks-updated-5-7-2020.1211994/

If you think there is a mite problem, you could treat them all with permethrin. It can't hurt, but it does take time to have an effect.

If they are not eating and drinking properly, you can consider tube feeding. Here is a link on how to do it. Tube feeding can help them get survive times like this. If they haven't been eating properly, that is likely why they are nutrient deficiencies. Hydration is usually the main problem. If they are dehydrated, they could show drunken behavior like that.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/tube-feeding-ducks-updated-5-7-2020.1211994/

If you think there is a mite problem, you could treat them all with permethrin. It can't hurt, but it does take time to have an effect.
I treated them with a permethrin spray. I’ve treated birds for mites before, so I know how to do it. I’ve been using a large syringe, but I think a tube syringe will probably work better. I’ll look at tractor supply.

I treated them with a permethrin spray. I’ve treated birds for mites before, so I know how to do it. I’ve been using a large syringe, but I think a tube syringe will probably work better. I’ll look at tractor supply.
The tube syringe is definitely a lot easier. You can get a lot of food and fluids in them in a very short amount of time. Hopefully it will help them out.

Back
Top Bottom