Stumbling SS help please!!

crop3-1024x900.jpg

This is the crop. It will fill and empty throughout the day as she eats and drinks. Some birds really stuff their crops, some eat less more often. They will usually have something in their crops when they go to roost at night and will digest over night, so in the morning it should be empty. If it's not empty, if it feels very hard, or very soft and squishy, then that could indicate a problem. Just cup your hand over it from the outside and feel/massage it. You won't hurt anything. If it's very full, don't squeeze so hard that you make the bird regurgitate.

Thanks

Just to make sure I’m doing it right can you drop a quick description of how to check the crop.
View attachment 2229640
This is the crop. It will fill and empty throughout the day as she eats and drinks. Some birds really stuff their crops, some eat less more often. They will usually have something in their crops when they go to roost at night and will digest over night, so in the morning it should be empty. If it's not empty, if it feels very hard, or very soft and squishy, then that could indicate a problem. Just cup your hand over it from the outside and feel/massage it. You won't hurt anything. If it's very full, don't squeeze so hard that you make the bird regurgitate.
^^ This!^^ There you go - Coach got ya! :)
Keep up posted on what you feel and how she's doing.

^^ This!^^ There you go - Coach got ya! :)
Keep up posted on what you feel and how she's doing.
She is still acting tired ? I did put out some electrolyte and probiotics water, I should have the poultry cell tomorrow they are out of it at the local feed and seed and the TSC.

View attachment 2229640
Thanks coach I’ll check as she comes out the door in the morning

View attachment 2229640
we brought her in last night she was just laying around not wanting to move, her crop was empty, so she wasn’t eating. I put her in isolation and have her food and water she attacked the food bowl, I can’t tell how much water she has drank but doesn’t look like much. She is still just laying around in the kennel.

I’m starting to wonder, I’ll know more by the end of the day, if it isn’t a simple not getting to eat issue. I turned the lights on and she jumped up and went right to the food bowl again eating away.

I honestly can’t remember if she was vaccinated or not we got these from TSC so I am guessing she was. They are still cooped up not allowed in the yard yet, might be mold we found some a few weeks back and removed it and cleaned the area, I’ll double check on that in a few when I done with the videos. That’s why I put her back in the coop to let her have a cool place to lay down.
I recall reading a comment response from TSC on Facebook that only the chick's parents are vaccinated, but the chicks they receive are not vaccinated (someone please correct me if I am wrong!

At the age of 12 weeks, they could be moved to a lower protein "grower" feed at 16-18%. 20% is a bit high for chicks intended for layers. I agree with others about adding vitamins to their water, just be sure to provide a clean source of water in case the vitamin addition discourages them from drinking and refresh both daily. I also agree with other's suggestions regarding checking the crop, for mold, etc. I just wanted to add a bit more. Good luck with your little bird!

Did you already inspect the coop for poultry mites? A double-sided adhesive tape wrapped around each side of the roosts just where they meet the walls will show if there is any mite infestation.

Offer her some scrambled eggs with oatmeal, brewers yeast and millet.

Did you already inspect the coop for poultry mites? A double-sided adhesive tape wrapped around each side of the roosts just where they meet the walls will show if there is any mite infestation.

Offer her some scrambled eggs with oatmeal, brewers yeast and millet.
Yes no mites that I’ve seen yet

Have you seen any droppings? Normal or not? You can mix her regular feed, crumbles or pellets, with some water to make a mash, they usually like it that way and it will help with hydration. How many birds do you have in how much space, and how many feeders and waterers? Wondering if she's being kept from food by others either due to being low in the pecking order, or due to being sick/weak. I would do everything mentioned previously, get some vitamins in her, get her eating well, see how things go. How droppings look may help. If you have any human B complex tablets on hand, give her 1/4 to 1/2 of those ground up in her feed while you wait for the poultry cell.

Back
Top Bottom